Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No you say? If things go as planned over the next year or so, that could change! Here's my prototype:

This angle shows the distance on the 3rd pod to be a bit further than it really is. Once I get a good unit finished, I can get a form built and start testing a few other materials. I should have this one all finished up in the next couple weeks and I'll post back up.

In the meantime, tell me what you guys think!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lookin good. I could use that extra gauge spot.
If Ur needing someone to test them out for ya ill volunteer haha

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
looks good just wondering on the angle of the gauges. Good luck !! keep everyone updated

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Looks good:thumbsup: Could the 3rd be moved closer into the second one so
they would be all the same distance apart? X2 on the angle

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did some more finishing on the pod tonight. See below for the test fit pics, and gauge angles; I think the angle looks pretty good, maybe a slight bit high. If people want less angle on the gauge faces, I'll have to so some serious modification to the autometer pieces.

Give me some more feedback, I want to make this something that everyone likes!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like I would also be a test dummy if u need one. Angles don't look to bad to me. But I'm also taller so. Might be alittle different for shorter guys.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Looks prety good.:thumbsup: I think the angle might be a little high, im 5' 11" tall.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm about 5'11 as well, pics were taken with my iPhone lens at the same height as my eyes. I also have a stock bench seat in my truck, so if anyone is running an aftermarket seat they may have a different view of the pod. Thanks for the feedback guys!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pod went in for primer yesterday. I'd spray it myself but don't have warm facilities at my place without hearing the wife complain :) hoping to have it back by early next week all finished up and I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Very nice! I like the a pillar trim incorporated into the pods! That is brilliant! I had put mine on top of the trim back when I did it (about 5 years ago) and now after seeing these pics, I dont like it! LOL

I also like how much closer the single pod is to the double. mine now looks like too much gap! ;)

And what it looks like from drivers head view (yes you sit high, I put a 3.5" seat lift in as my legs were too close to the pedals as I am 6'2").

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bschwarlzi - love your truck! I had an 85 crew that I was going to build, just didnt have time or money for that build.

Time for an update - got primer on the pod! Should have it finished up this week.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
looking good im 5'11'' and im just wandering on the angles still but it looks good and all and seems to be alright. Whats the brand going to be if you actually start making them ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No specific "brand" per se... I may be starting up a business in the next year or so, so technically it could be distributed under that name. We'll see, until then, "JDunn's Triple Pod Mod" :party018:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Well good luck whats the business going to be about if you don't mind me asking ? cummins parts ? First gen mainly ? You going to only make parts ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well good luck whats the business going to be about if you don't mind me asking ? cummins parts ? First gen mainly ? You going to only make parts ?
Haven't fully committed as to what aspect the business will ultimately settle into, but for starters it will be a restoration shop/custom body shop. I'm pretty active within the forced induction Subaru crowd as well, and enjoy wrenching on them.

Ultimate goal, would be to run a performance/repair shop that has a complete package under one roof. For example, I'd have a rusted 89' first gen roll into the shop with less than 160 hp and be totally ragged. With owners approval of course, I'd like to strip the truck down and restore it, freshen every aspect of the truck (modernize) and send it out the door with twice the HP.

I'll post some pictures of things I've done in the past in another post. Love doing paint/body restoration and mods. kinda why I thought up the molded triple pod. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
did you mold it out of fiberglass ? Also i want a quote from you just to see the differences in prices im just pricing stuff out.... I want to paint my truck and finish restoring it its just im younger and i know i will go mudding with my buddy on logging roads and i use it all year d/d and its my sled (snowmobile) hauler so it will see lots of wet weather and snow, i know if i paint it i would have to take it easy and if i got it scratched i would be pissed...... so im thinking about just leaving it but still not decided either way give me a quote if i brought you my truck sanded that needed a new floor pan on drivers side the back corner of the floor inside the cab patched 2''x2'' and the rockers replaced no dents ect. How much would it cost say if i wanted it burgundy with chrome on the bottom of rockers and around the wheel wells ? Then give me that same quote except if i did the sanding and rust repair for you ? Also what do you think about like the color i want with burgundy bedliner and then chrome on the rockers and wheel wells have you ever seen it done ? good idea ? Thanks in advance sorry for a hijack if you want pm the answers.

596 Posts
sign me up on the prototype list, the only thing is making sure to get the angle right, dont want the short guys to have to look too high, keep us updated i'm definetely interested if you decide to make this happen :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sign me up on the prototype list, the only thing is making sure to get the angle right, dont want the short guys to have to look too high, keep us updated i'm definetely interested if you decide to make this happen :D
That's always the issue, getting the PERFECT angle on the gauges. It's tough when your trying to cater to an entire audience with one product. I suppose I'll see how this one ends up, I may do two offerings if there is enough interest in them. I will probably end up making a mold and doing these out of fiberglass unless I can get into ABS plastic molding fairly easily. Depending on how long it takes me to produce them, I'm looking for a price point around $120 for the whole A pillar. This would include a textured finish and semi-gloss paint. The one I'm working on now will bee 100% smooth and painted gloss black (I sanded my entire dash smooth and painted it as well). I can offer that for those that may be interested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks awesome, I wonder how bit the gap would be with a single set right next to a double?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts