Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run offroad diesel in their pickup truck. I have an 06 Ram 3500 and i was just curious. I dont want to plug up the cat converter or make check engine lights come on.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't want to chance getting a ticket. The EPA fine is huge but yes you can run it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Most stations won't let you pump it yourself and it needs to go into a separate tank (at least here in PA). No difference, but the road taxes are not charged; hence the "off-road" diesel.

Anyway, you can run it, but the fine is insane should you get your tank dipped. Expect on putting out a whopping $3500 or so in a fine.

If you are going to do this and take the chance, put a heating oil tank in your basement and run a pump hose out of your home. The fine is the same and heating oil is about $3.50pg here in PA when diesel is $4.79 or so. This is a true saving.

Anyway, hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It would be fine to run the red stuff it just has mor sulfer in it. I think its roughly 500 ppm compared to 15 ppm. It will actually make your truck run better because of the lubricity (But) yes the fine is huge. My dad's friend got busted two weeks ago here in Delaware and his fine was $23,000 Yes $23K.:thud: Its not worth it bud. I ran it for 3 years straight but i was just lucky not to get caught. If you do run it make sure you change your fuel filter around 7-8000 miles or so. It gets nasty quick. Good Luck!:thumbsup

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are a few stations in south Mississippi & Louisana that have the good high sulfur offroad diesel and I stop there when passing through. Its true that you can't pump it into your truck, but you can pump it into a aux tank. I just fill my 100 gal bed mounted tank with it & then pump into my truck later. I've never seen or heard of anyone getting checked by DOT for using offroad. Maybe I'm just lucky.

·
Premium Member
19,810 Posts
well i run it in mine ocasionally. if i'm running low on a job i might squirt some in the tank. and yes only thing diffrent is dye. red or green. i will not hurt it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It would be fine to run the red stuff it just has mor sulfer in it. I think its roughly 500 ppm compared to 15 ppm. It will actually make your truck run better because of the lubricity (But) yes the fine is huge. My dad's friend got busted two weeks ago here in Delaware and his fine was $23,000 Yes $23K.:thud: Its not worth it bud. I ran it for 3 years straight but i was just lucky not to get caught. If you do run it make sure you change your fuel filter around 7-8000 miles or so. It gets nasty quick. Good Luck!:thumbsup
Heck. Iv run couple tanks of off road, couple tanks of bio, the alot of tanks of regular diesel. Filter was still good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have a 2006 and i have ran the red diesel in it several times and had no problems what so ever. :thumbsup

·
Registered
363 Posts
I Run The Red Since Day One In My 92 96 And My Powerjoke Not A Lick Of Trouble

·
Registered
121 Posts
what are the odds of getting checked?
my buddy got caught with it once only cause he owns a tractor dealership and the feds come in and check everything... but thats the onle person ive ever heard of getting busted

·
Registered
388 Posts
never heard of anybody gettin caught here in idaho. alot of farmers around here though.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I just got back from my father-in-laws in Texas. He sales diesel at his wholesale station there. He had an employee that was selling RED (farm use) diesel to anyone that asked for it. (He didn't know better) He was busted by whoever it is that does these inspections of stations selling the stuff. The motorist had to pay a $10000 fine because he didn't have a permit to buy red diesel and my father-in-law had to pay $42,000 for selling it to someone who didn't have a permit to buy it!

·
Registered
913 Posts
a friend of mine got caught two or three times some years ago. the truck had farm tags and a fuel tank in the back. thats a big red flag to DOT! imo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts