Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I have a new 6.7. I keep hearing people say certain types of intakes help MPG, some people say no. Should I waste the money and if I do, should I got with a drop in, a new setup, a 5.9 filter or what? Thanks for the help.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,917 Posts
Gut it (meaning take the vanes out of it) and put an amsoil drop in in. They are really the best dry filter money can buy and they are reusable too.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
yup, pull the baffle out and try the 5.9 filter to start with.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard cats talking about pulling the vains actually hurt mileage?

P

·
0 Posts
I heard cats talking about pulling the vains actually hurt mileage?
I've read that a few times too.

I gained .5 to 1 MPG immediately by installing a cold air on my 5.9's. I just got mine for the 6.7, but in poking around the forum I have seen people say the same results.

Now that is based on you not pounding on it.

I went with the AFE filter. But there are lots of different opinions. AFE seems to be the preferred.

I can tell you more next week after I have a chance to run it a bit.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please let me know! These parts aren't cheap and buying them with no results sure suck.

·
5,059 Posts
I cannot say that i noticed a huge difference with my aFe. You can hear the turbo better. Actual MPG gains i dont imagine were over .5 mpg. I think its gains come with it working with the Chips and Exhaust to help the truck breathe better.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I tried the 5.9 filter and it did not help. I just found a used AFE drop-in and I will be trying that tomorrow. I'm not expecting any miracles though. With a .5 gain the filter would pay for itself in the first two or three tankfuls at the price I paid...
We'll see......
My truck is stock otherwise except for a Rokktech crank sensor which also has not given me any better mileage...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
let us know, a .5 mileage gain would be huge!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I'll let you know. BTW, I'm "Got Diesel?" over at that other site you go to. This is my real name.... ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got my AFE stg 2 mega cannon and edge juice w/ att and couldnt be happier. (Thanks K2!) I am not sure whether the mileage is better but I do know it sure sounds sweet!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The one area we agree with the stealerships....."Your mileage will vary", especially depending on how much you like to hear the turbo at high boost.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is why I listen to you all on here, I used to have a powerstoke and bought all the mods and it didn't do squat. The only mod that could help me get better mileage on that thing was trading it in on a prius.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so any more feedback on this?

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I have had my afe mega cannon for about 20,000 miles no diff. in mpg for me. Switching over to syn. engine oil helped more than anything. About .5 to .8 mpg.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a K&N drop in and it seems to help with MPG. I drove from Houston to New Orleans before I replaced it and got 14.8 MPG. After I changed it out did the same trip and got 16.1 MPG. I'm Happy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What baffles are you talking about removing? I haven't looked at it that much.

·
5,059 Posts
if you pull the intake tube apart right before the big cylinder looking part, reach in there and grab the foam baffle and pull it out with the plastic part as well. You may have to wiggle it just a little.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so did we ever really decide what filter helps if any or does it seem to depend on the truck?

P

·
0 Posts
I have to say I got maybe .5 better with mine.

My boost became more active too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts