Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped my rear diff cover off yesterday and saw that my ring gear and pinion gear are chipped. I am wanting to replace them with 3.54 gears since I don't do any heavy duty extreme towing I am wondering if I will need to replace my carrier as well as my ring and pinion or just the ring and pinion?
Thanks!

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
The carriers are the same for 3:07/3:54/4:10. Just change out the gears.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
No worries, my friend just did a 3.54 swap from his 4.10. He loves it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, any idea how much it will run per axle? I was looking on a website they said about 180$ for the ring and pinion gears that sound about right?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
That depends on who made the gears if its a good price. I checked the site I normaly buy axle parts from. For a set of 3:54 Dana MFG'd gears they show $314. Yukon gears normaly are cheaper. I haven't used a set of them. So I can't say much about them.

Don't forget your going to need a full install kit. That runs around $175 or so. That gives all new bearings, new ring gear bolts, a larger assortment of shims needed to set the new gears properly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Personally i would not go with 3.55 i would go with 3.73 and runn 33 in tires. This seems to be good setup wheather you be towing or just driving especially if you are running a non lockup trans. A little less effort to get things movin but still has good road manners.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was lookin at a cheapy brand where would I order Dana ring and pinion sets from?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh cool, I was looking at ringpinion.com the brand was USA standard for the 180$ price tag. I will deffinately get genuine Dana parts if I can.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Upon doing a little research. The US standard gears are made by Yukon gears. They are the budget lineup. They have less machine work and lapping process. There can be some gear noise with them due to this.

On the install kit. Make sure and ask if it is American MFG. If it is a china brand. Hang up the phone and go wash your hands. :rof

DTS sell Dana install kits. These are quality kits.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will deffinately buy my instal kit and gears from DTS. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts