Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy should seriously NEVER own another Dodge Cummins truck!

I had the pleasure of helping a fella from IL (Mike) fix his truck up yesterday that he bought from dodgecummins7 within the last month. This is Mikes very first Cummins and although a very decent wrench himself he had no idea how bad this dodgecummins7 guy ripped him off. Its my understanding the tcase was junk when he sold it to Mike, but never disclosed, but to top it off here a few things we addressed yesterday that this guy screwed Mike on with his truck purchase....

1) all 6 injector lines were loose at the head and leaking fuel EVERYWHERE!
2) most of the crossovers were literally missing the o-rings and looked like they were used to drive in pole shed nails!
3) a few different thickness copper washers used in the install of really nasty looking injectors and one injector missing the washer completely!
4) 2 MIA intake plate bolts (sucking in diesel fuel from the leaking lines)
5) no intake plate gasket!
6) no grid heater gaskets!
7) plugged radiator from a nasty puke bottle!
8) missing over half the injector line clamps!
9) valve lash were around double of OEM.
etc etc but those are things we addressed

Im sure had we had time to fine pick the truck I would have found numerous other issues however Mike made a 5 hour trip one way just so I could help him get his truck running decent again. He didnt realize what a turd he had until I fixed it all. Mike paid this guy about double what any other decent member here would have sold it for and its a shame there are such crooks out there in this diesel sport. I obviously dont know all the details about the truck sale but after spending the day with Mike and getting to know him Id say he is a very honest and helpful guy so he left here without any charge to help him recoup his screwing from this dodgecummins7 kid.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is a shame that there are folks out there like this. Either crooked enough to do it on purpose, or dumb enough to throw things together with bad parts and expect someone not to notice.

Good luck to Mike and his new truck!

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
not sure what you do for a living, but you deserve a welcome for your efforts! thats one thing i have learned with diesel guys, most of us are real nice and willing to lend a hand when we can.

·
Registered
345 Posts
All those problems with the fuel system and it still ran?

·
Registered
28 Posts
All those problems with the fuel system and it still ran?
My truck.. yes it still ran. Amazingly, I was getting 14-15mpg babying it home pulling my little TDI Golf behind on a dolly. Power was way down and I now that I know what was wrong I think I was hearing boost escaping. At higher rpms/more throttle the boost leak was small enough that I had enough power in 4th gear to climb hills OK.. but I'd guess I was down to about 145hp or so. I never really romped on it on the test drive... I'm respectful and I don't want to scare the seller.

After Chris worked on it, the engine came alive! Very responsive and great power/torque with the new 75hp injectors and MANY new gaskets/crossovers/o-rings Chris threw at my truck for free because he felt bad about what someone else had done. I can guarantee him he has a customer for life.

The truck has 305/70r16 mud tires and I am sure is at 20mpg when cruising. I drove 290 miles home after filling, drove around town 40 miles in stop and go traffic. I made at least 15 near-WOT 0-50mph runs to enjoy my new powerful smooth-running engine. Average 18mpg! Topped up!! Thanks CSnyder and compD!

·
Registered
101 Posts
hey mike im sure sorry about the problems with the truck i wish u woulda called me and let me know i havn't hardly heard a word from you since you picked the truck up like a week or two before xmas and now all the sudden i see all of this..

what was wrong with transfer case 4wd system worked flawlessly the last time i used it?

i guess i mean i do all my own wrenching and need to either take more time or pride but the injectors lines sure weren't leakin when i last seen um. and to be honest i sure as hell don't even know what valve lash is..

when we were talkin on the phone i told ya the truck needed mechanical work and you said that would be great cuz u like to find problems and fix them (not that i was tryin to sell somethin with a bunch of problems) and no u havn't called and complained to me but i wish u would of let me know and i coulda tryed to help ya out to make it rite..

i think mike was a A+ guy... but he didn't seem at all interesed in lookin the truck over when i met up with him i had to insist that he took it for a test drive and at the time you were happy with every thing... i know it was cold as hell out that day and you probly didn't want to spend to much time outside.. but if the injection lines and stuff were leaking that much thats sumthing we coulda seen at that time....

i guess give me a call if you wish and im sorry for the disapointment...we can see what i can do to help ya out

·
Registered
101 Posts
I never really romped on it on the test drive... I'm respectful and I don't want to scare the seller.

you wanted to turn around after 3 blocks of driving i got ya to go out on the country road so you could get it goin and told ya to get on it and make sure every thing seemed ok with you...u were happy about the power then you said or i don't think we would of gone to the bank afterwards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ugg... I didn't want to get into this...

First of all... I'm not mad about any of this anymore (I was mad for the first 8 hours after I got it to a garage where I could have my first look around the truck, that was a month ago...) I already dragged you through the mud more than I meant to and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. Let me review some of this stuff though because if you truly don't know what you did wrong than we need to help you learn how to do it right. If you knowingly put these beat-up and incorrect size/broken parts back in the engine when you swapped the stock injectors back in, then I forgive you. If that's the case you better straighten up and fly right real soon here though.

I don't hold anything against you. I didn't start this thread: a mechanic who was appalled by what he saw when we took things apart started this thread. He's a brilliant mechanic, and like dozens of good mechanic friends I have, he cares about the work he does and the mess you made of the injectors/intake/crossovers pissed him off. For good reason.

If you're going to do a job like an injector swap, you are obligated to do it right. There is little reason the truck couldn't run another 150K miles before the valve cover needs to come off again. Getting the thickness of the injector washer wrong is bad news bears. Forgetting a washer is serious negligence. Where do you find these assorted sizes of copper washers? I think new copper washers when installing injectors is the route I would take. How much do copper washers cost? Gaskets? Intake manifold bolts? (they don't shake out, they come with a permanent loc-tite on them from Dodge) Compare these costs to the cost of the truck. You HAVE TO invest time and money in these details to do the job right, and to have a truck that runs right.

Lets drop the transfer case, it's possible it could have broken at the same time as the u-joint and you might not have known it was done for. I saw a video you posted where you were pulling with a loud SNAP at the end of it. I can't find the video anymore.. but it's no big deal. RWD is working for now, I'll take this as an opportunity to see how the transfer case is built. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you believed the transfer case was good when you sold the truck.

Lets drop all the little nit-picky stuff that I really didn't care about- broken handles and power steering leak and a few other little surprises I found out about after I drove nearly 12 hours to look at it. I don't care about all that. You told me there were several random things wrong and I expected that... it's fine.

In person you said that the biggest injectors the truck ever saw were 100hp, while here on the forums you said you installed 250hp injectors. Not sure how that slipped your mind. It doesn't really matter, the motor has survived all this and is now doing very well.

I'm not trying to drag you through the muck, I just want you to start flying straight. If you're going to tear into vehicles and do sensitive work, make sure you know how to do it first. You've got three diesel trucks. That's cool, but maybe the money from one of those trucks could have paid a mechanic to show you how to put things together correctly. Maybe you could put money into making a motor READY for 250hp injectors before you slap them in! If you honestly need help, ask someone or ask the forums man. It's nothing to be ashamed about.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
manual_tranny you can work on my rig any day. Are you free tomorrow? Lol!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
This guy should seriously NEVER own another Dodge Cummins truck!

I had the pleasure of helping a fella from IL (Mike) fix his truck up yesterday that he bought from dodgecummins7 within the last month. This is Mikes very first Cummins and although a very decent wrench himself he had no idea how bad this dodgecummins7 guy ripped him off. Its my understanding the tcase was junk when he sold it to Mike, but never disclosed, but to top it off here a few things we addressed yesterday that this guy screwed Mike on with his truck purchase....

1) all 6 injector lines were loose at the head and leaking fuel EVERYWHERE!
2) most of the crossovers were literally missing the o-rings and looked like they were used to drive in pole shed nails!
3) a few different thickness copper washers used in the install of really nasty looking injectors and one injector missing the washer completely!
4) 2 MIA intake plate bolts (sucking in diesel fuel from the leaking lines)
5) no intake plate gasket!
6) no grid heater gaskets!
7) plugged radiator from a nasty puke bottle!
8) missing over half the injector line clamps!
9) valve lash were around double of OEM.
etc etc but those are things we addressed

Im sure had we had time to fine pick the truck I would have found numerous other issues however Mike made a 5 hour trip one way just so I could help him get his truck running decent again. He didnt realize what a turd he had until I fixed it all. Mike paid this guy about double what any other decent member here would have sold it for and its a shame there are such crooks out there in this diesel sport. I obviously dont know all the details about the truck sale but after spending the day with Mike and getting to know him Id say he is a very honest and helpful guy so he left here without any charge to help him recoup his screwing from this dodgecummins7 kid.
Sorry dude............I am calling BS on this one
That truck with missing gaskets-no boost and missing tube o rings and a missing copper would have been running like total **** would not have been capable of towing :stirpot:

·
Registered
28 Posts
That truck with missing gaskets-no boost and missing tube o rings and a missing copper would have been running like total **** would not have been capable of towing :stirpot:
:banghead:
What, you need pictures or something? I have a few. It wasn't running well, it just barely made it up hills. Fuel was leaking all over the engine. I wasn't getting good mileage even when I accelerated slowly. I heard a constant pinging from the cylinder that he FORGOT to use a copper washer on. Towing a car on a u-haul dolly is hardly difficult for an 8000# truck. What exactly makes you think that you have more evidence of the facts than myself and my mechanic? Do you have psychic powers, or are you seriously that stupid?

Now sit down and think for 5 minutes. If you have no gaskets- and therefore lots of intake leaks- where does the air go? It doesn't turn into NO boost. It has to escape. So, as it is escaping the turbocharger is still pressurizing the air. That pressurized air can't fit through the leaks in the intake fast enough for ALL the boost to get out at once. The holes are too small. So the truck still gets SOME boost and has SOME power. It felt like about 150hp/300ftlbs of torque. More than enough to move the truck from point A to point B with a Volkswagen tied to the back.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I just sat down and typed for sh!ts and giggles. Ive only been running my own shop for 12 years so what do I know.....

·
Registered
670 Posts
My Ribs Hurt!!!!!!!!

Calling BS

HA HA HA your really funny. :hehe:
You had me for a second, really.:rof
For a second I thought you were serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You almost had me believing you:rof:hehe:
Good post LOL very funny. Made my day.
Thanks for the laugh. Hee Hee.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
old man bob don't joke around...........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts