Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

That didn't last long. Just a week ago Chrysler, newly emerged from bankruptcy protection, announced that it would be restarting production at 11 of its manufacturing plants. With new ownership from Fiat and the U.S. and Canadian governments the American automaker was eager to start a new chapter in its long history. There's just one small problem… we're still in the middle of a worldwide recession and no one wants to buy cars. Or pickup trucks.

As a result, Chrysler is idling its Fenton, MO plant (where the Dodge Ram pickup truck is assembled) on July 10th. Oddly, the plant will still reopen on June 29th, only to close two weeks later.

According to the Automotive News report the Fenton plant might not reopen at all as it had previously been scheduled to shut down in the third quarter of 2009 - and with the current supply of Dodge Rams sitting on dealer lots enough to last 115 days its unlikely the facility will ever come back on line.

More: Dodge Ram Plant To Be Idled Two Weeks After it Re-Opens on AutoGuide.com

·
Gone Fishing!!
3,069 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
i have to hear this from some one who would know for sure....but i heard that they are movin the Dodge truck plants down to Mexico....if so im sorry for all you guys that own them....

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,265 Posts
i heard that they are movin the Dodge truck plants down to Mexico
The orginal plant for the CTD trucks is in mexico. All CTd's up into the later 2nd gen's were made in Mexico. Then when the demand was high they added the Fenton plant.

BTW the Mexico plant all ways had the best parts shipped to it. Subpar but usable parts were shiped to Fenton.

Reactions: bunga

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
hmmm i never knew that......figures.....i think its nice of chevy and Chrysler to help out the american economy by letting other ppl make money making the trucks we buy...:doh:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Whatever happened to the "work truck"? I looked at a new 1500 at a dealer and I wouldn't want to fart in the thing. And it's 41 grand for a half ton gasser. I'm looking at new F250's right now. I think if Dodge and Chevy and Ford went back to offering more basic trucks, maybe even with *shudder* *shudder* roll down windows and cut down on the interior bling and pimped up 2 tone paint jobs, they would sell more of the things to guys like me who just need a comfortable ride with the ability to load up gravel, triple mix, pig poop, whatever and not worry about messing up a $41,000 truck.

·
06 Cummins
1,621 Posts
i have to hear this from some one who would know for sure....but i heard that they are movin the Dodge truck plants down to Mexico....if so im sorry for all you guys that own them....

My 2006 was manufactured in Saltillo Mexico, been basically problem free outside of the HAVC issue. When you look at the structural construction, it's flawless.

They only made 2500's in Fenton due to the order overload of 2500's a few years ago. Now that they don't have the order overloads, it makes sense to close it down.

Take a good look at ALL the vehicles going down the US roads, ask yourself, how many are manufactured in the US? . . and, what percentage of their parts are manufactured in the US?

We have not had the US manufactured vehicles with US manufactured parts since in the mid to late 60's. Since that time, every day, week, month that passes the percentage of foreign/importd parts alone have risen exponentially. We have had US production/assembly of foreign owned corporation cars/trucks for the most part, but even go further and ask about what percentage of the GM's and Ford's are foreign part supplied?

CD

·
Registered
8 Posts
does anyone know if the Saltillo Mexico plant is in operation? We have ordered a 2010 mega cab laramie 3500. At first(back in June)dealer told us they were building 09's, then at beginning of Aug, dealer said the build is on, its a 2010, and our deal is in place with all our 09 incentives and friends and family number too. I really need the truck by the beginning of Oct.,as we are snowbirds and tow a 5th wheel to Arizona..(traded in the F350 2004 6L) thank goodnesss!! Dona

1 - 9 of 9 Posts