Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Dodge questions

1517 27
Hey Guys, im on here for my dad who wants to trade in his ford diesel for a 2001 ram 2500 w 108k on her. He would like to know how reliable they are, mpg, if the trannys are stong enough if he modded it. Or should he look for a newer dodge. Any help is appriciated.
- thanks guys:thumbsup:
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
6,210 Posts
Its an auto, i have no clue what a 53 block is. 16,900. I read theres an HO 5.9, did it only come with a manual? Thanks

the autos are not very good stock. so if he wants to add power then plan on upgrading the tranny. an for a good one your looking 4000+.
53 block is the motor that tends to crack. very few 01's have it but it is something to look for.

IMO that price is a little high. should be around 15000. is it cloth or leather inside?

· Horse Power JUNKIE
1,656 Posts
Yes the HOs only came with a 6spd, although I've heard some where that when they came out some where made with 5spd.... but I dont know how true that is. The SOs came with 5spd or autos. The SO make a little more power once you start modding them. The autos from the fractory kinda suck, but if they are serviced well they last a little longer. I've read that a good service tranny with light-medium duty will last 100-140k before needing rebuild. I bought mine used with 150k and the tranny was going out, I did a shift kit and got another 45k out of it before it bit the dust. The 47RE is a great design once you set it up right and use good parts.
Just like the rest of VP44 trucks (98.5-02) they are very sensitive to fuel supply. The trucks come with a weak/crappy electric lift pump that when it goes out it usaully takes out a $1200 injection pump. So what most do is replace the stock lift pump with a reliable fuel system like AirDog or Fass as well as fuel pressure gauge or low pressure warning light.
Once you address these couple issue the trucks are great and will last a long time, well I should say the truck will fall apart around the motor before the motor is done.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
if you take your time you can find much better deals. my truck is an 01 auto and its virtually flawless and had about 100k. i paid 10k for it. there around it just takes a little research. if you find one for the same price as mine u can take the other 6k and throw that into some good mods. i generally get over 20 on mine and just under it with a heavy foot

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
the autos are not very good stock. so if he wants to add power then plan on upgrading the tranny. an for a good one your looking 4000+.
53 block is the motor that tends to crack. very few 01's have it but it is something to look for.

IMO that price is a little high. should be around 15000. is it cloth or leather inside?
As far as mods go he'd probably just install a cai and a tuner, would the tranny hold for that? Yes i let him know that the price is high, and its cloth. He has a 08 f-250 but theres been so many recalls hes worried about what happens when the warranty runs out and what not. here's the link to it http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers/friendlyfords/used-inventory?_flowExecutionKey=_c8A32D7A1-3EF5-D377-5369-72AAFF67B4CA_k0D445EDF-0D4F-A548-325F-CBFA9D38C889&_eventId_requestquote=true&requestType=quote&vin=3B7KF23641G757435&dealerPACode=05017&certifiedPreownedImg=false

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the HOs only came with a 6spd, although I've heard some where that when they came out some where made with 5spd.... but I dont know how true that is. The SOs came with 5spd or autos. The SO make a little more power once you start modding them. The autos from the fractory kinda suck, but if they are serviced well they last a little longer. I've read that a good service tranny with light-medium duty will last 100-140k before needing rebuild. I bought mine used with 150k and the tranny was going out, I did a shift kit and got another 45k out of it before it bit the dust. The 47RE is a great design once you set it up right and use good parts.
Just like the rest of VP44 trucks (98.5-02) they are very sensitive to fuel supply. The trucks come with a weak/crappy electric lift pump that when it goes out it usaully takes out a $1200 injection pump. So what most do is replace the stock lift pump with a reliable fuel system like AirDog or Fass as well as fuel pressure gauge or low pressure warning light.
Once you address these couple issue the trucks are great and will last a long time, well I should say the truck will fall apart around the motor before the motor is done.

Should he look for a newer 2500 then? Maybe fewer issues? thanks

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you take your time you can find much better deals. my truck is an 01 auto and its virtually flawless and had about 100k. i paid 10k for it. there around it just takes a little research. if you find one for the same price as mine u can take the other 6k and throw that into some good mods. i generally get over 20 on mine and just under it with a heavy foot
Is that hwy or city? Yeah his f-250 now gets like 11-12 maybe 16 hwy

· Registered
349 Posts
:cbadge2: cummins all the way. i bought my 2000 24v for 11k with 104,000 miles on it. its an overall good truck but ive had ALOT of problems with it. my ENTIRE fuel system wwent out, so it was $1100 for a new vp44 an $520 for an airdog 150 fuel system to replace my stock fuel pump. than it was about $350 to get an entire front brake job done (rotors, calipers, and break pads) and than it was around $400 to get both the front hub assemblies replaced, so far its cost me almost 3 grand to keep it on the road, but other than that i cant complain.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:cbadge2: cummins all the way. i bought my 2000 24v for 11k with 104,000 miles on it. its an overall good truck but ive had ALOT of problems with it. my ENTIRE fuel system wwent out, so it was $1100 for a new vp44 an $520 for an airdog 150 fuel system to replace my stock fuel pump. than it was about $350 to get an entire front brake job done (rotors, calipers, and break pads) and than it was around $400 to get both the front hub assemblies replaced, so far its cost me almost 3 grand to keep it on the road, but other than that i cant complain.
So the fuel system on the older rams is an issue?

· On call 24/7
13,733 Posts
They are asking at least 5k to much. Yes the fuel system on the 98.5-02 trucks needs improvement. The vp44 injector pump needs at least 10psi of fuel pressure to live and the oem lift pump cant keep up with mods and barely kep up just stock. If you get a good lift pump, airdog or fass, and fuel pressure gauge it should last a long time.

· Registered
349 Posts
So the fuel system on the older rams is an issue?
yea, the more miles you put on em the weaker the VP44 gets, and if you dont change the fuel filter on your stock pump every 3-4000 miles that could be a problem, i just so happened to buy mine at the wrong time and that time was when ALOT of things went wrong. but then again, i know alot of 2nd gen. owners that they still have the stock fuel system after 200k miles or more. depends on the year and what the truck was used for

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea, the more miles you put on em the weaker the VP44 gets, and if you dont change the fuel filter on your stock pump every 3-4000 miles that could be a problem, i just so happened to buy mine at the wrong time and that time was when ALOT of things went wrong. but then again, i know alot of 2nd gen. owners that they still have the stock fuel system after 200k miles or more. depends on the year and what the truck was used for
So then he shoud be looking for a 4th gen, any serious issues there?

· On call 24/7
13,733 Posts
The 3rd gen trucks are 03-09 and I guess the 2010's are considered 4th gen. I bought my 98 with 214k and havent had a bit of trouble with it. It still had the stock or at least an oem pump on it when I got it and the vp44 hadnt been tapped. I replaced the lift pump with a fass so I wouldnt have problems in the future but I dont know what the oem lift pump was putting out pressure wise. I have a fuel pressure gauge now and the fass puts out 18 at idle and 16 at wide open throttle. The 98 in my sig has 225k on it and at 220k I drove straight from phoenix az to tyler tx only stopping for fuel. I had a 16 ft trailer with a car and the bed full of motor cycles and tools. This isnt alot of weight but it did it withou a glitch and was all stock except a quadzilla xzt+. It really just depends on the body style you like best.

· Registered
349 Posts
So then he shoud be looking for a 4th gen, any serious issues there?
get a 3rd gen from 03-07. 07.5 and on are all the 6.7 emission crap engines. i suggest the 5.9 common rail, and the 2010 dodges are just straight up ugly anyway. idk of and serious issues with the 3rd gens, cuz i havent owned one yet. lol. my next truck is a 5.9 common rail for sure

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everybody for the advice, we found a 2005 ram 2500 slt with 43k on it for $18900 so my dad got that one, he already loves it, no regrets on leaving the ford.
Now he has one more question for you guys. What are the best (relatively speaking) tuners and cold air intakes. Any brand differences like bulleydog or diablo? Is the powerpuck a good product? and will any of the above help his fuel economy?
thanks again guys.:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
323 Posts
Congrats on the truck. You made the right choice not getting the other one. I got mine for only 10K and it's in perfect shape. You won't be sorry with the 2005 trucks. They are awesome. All you have to do is search for those key words and you'll get hundreds of hits on the forum about tuners and such.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congrats on the truck. You made the right choice not getting the other one. I got mine for only 10K and it's in perfect shape. You won't be sorry with the 2005 trucks. They are awesome. All you have to do is search for those key words and you'll get hundreds of hits on the forum about tuners and such.
Thanks, what about your mods, how do you like your K&N cai, notice any difference in fuel mileage or power?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.