Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!

should dodge take off the dpf?

• yes its horrible take it off now!

Votes: 102 92.7%
  • no i love it i hug trees

Votes: 8 7.3%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've heard horror stories about these dpf's and cats why doesnt dodge just take em off and go back to the 5.9 setup? Its because fiat bought them is why!!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
No; the federal government has mandated these emission rules for diesel trucks. These rules are going to get more stringent over time and the issue and problems with Diesel engines will continue for some time.
All engine manufactures must meet the rules for both on-highway and off-highway use. Dodge nor anyone else can sell any product that does not meet these rules.
In fact Calf. has rule that most on highway trucks (class 8) must be brought up to the latest emission rules for diesel engines.
So do not blame Dodge, thank the feds for this.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not much of a poll:confused013:

Reactions: 7492

·
Banned
885 Posts
your voting practices at work....

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
My truck is an 08,
By law it only has to comply with the laws that are in place in 08. It does not need to comply with 20010 regulations.

But once a MFG puts the emissions on it the EPA jumps in and makes it illegal to tamper with the emissions. Catch 22

I agree the DPF makes the truck unusable in some real world situations.
Sadly most trucks are sold to people who will never use there trucks for work, towing instead they will be boulevard cruisers..

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,489 Posts
My truck is an 08,
By law it only has to comply with the laws that are in place in 08. It does not need to comply with 20010 regulations.

But once a MFG puts the emissions on it the EPA jumps in and makes it illegal to tamper with the emissions. Catch 22

I agree the DPF makes the truck unusable in some real world situations.
Sadly most trucks are sold to people who will never use there trucks for work, towing instead they will be boulevard cruisers..
You sir are incorrect. The vehicle has to comply with what emission equipment was installed at manufacture. No matter what reg set it is following. We are supposed to have everything that is listed on the Emission stick on the radiator support. Mine has quite a list.

That said, many states do not enforce this. Nevada does. Hence my Stealth approach to deletes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
You sir are incorrect. The vehicle has to comply with what emission equipment was installed at manufacture. No matter what reg set it is following. We are supposed to have everything that is listed on the Emission stick on the radiator support. Mine has quite a list.

That said, many states do not enforce this. Nevada does. Hence my Stealth approach to deletes. :thumbsup:
My truck is an 08,

:confused013::confused013:

Like I said, It only needed to be 08 compliant.

They chose to make it 2010 compliant.

Like I said;
"once a MFG puts the emissions on it the EPA jumps in and makes it illegal to tamper with the emissions".

"Hence my Stealth approach to deletes" dad2bike

I'm watching your project, I like the idea.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,489 Posts
Like I said;
"once a MFG puts the emissions on it the EPA jumps in and makes it illegal to tamper with the emissions".

"Hence my Stealth approach to deletes" dad2bike

I'm watching your project, I like the idea.
My ADD kicked in. Didn't read that far. :doh:

I'm stealth right now. Nothing special.
With the Smarty, I am code free and "looks" all OEM. :party018:

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
they keep their prices down and remain in business by pushing to stay ahead of the emissions regs... this creates less rushed R&D expenses, and allows them to fine-tune a system real world before the regs come down.

as opposed to CAT who was too far behind to stay in the road engine game

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Cool,
No proublem.

This spring some thing is going to happen to mine.(dpf)

To put an emission system on a vehicle that can render it useless or clog up requiring you to take your truck for a drive at 50+mph for 20-40miles or a trip to the dealer to get cleaned out is totally unacceptable at the least.

I bought mine to pull my 24ft T.T
but I can't pull it up a steep rocky road at low speeds or the dpf will fill up.

Even if I use low range and 1st to keep the rpms up. The constant deceleration-acceleration clogs up the dpf.

I don't want a tuner and I can except a cel light. so a DIY dpf-r or a stealth system is in my future.

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
you really have no idea how the world works, do you?

Fiat bought a controlling part of Chrysler... They didn't instantly get rid of very CUMMINS engineer that worked on the Dodge project :rolleyes: Fiat didn't bring anything but MONEY into Chrysler. Do you think they magicly just put a DPF on a truck or do you think there might have been a few years of R&D before that came out? :confused:

You think when a vehicle hits the dealer showrooms that it was designed and built the day before?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
the DPF and EGR was in the works long before FIAT was even in the pic. They had been planning and researching and testing it for a while before it came out.

·
www.ATSdiesel.com
592 Posts
Cool,
No proublem.

This spring some thing is going to happen to mine.(dpf)

To put an emission system on a vehicle that can render it useless or clog up requiring you to take your truck for a drive at 50+mph for 20-40miles or a trip to the dealer to get cleaned out is totally unacceptable at the least.

I bought mine to pull my 24ft T.T
but I can't pull it up a steep rocky road at low speeds or the dpf will fill up.

Even if I use low range and 1st to keep the rpms up. The constant deceleration-acceleration clogs up the dpf.

I don't want a tuner and I can except a cel light. so a DIY dpf-r or a stealth system is in my future.
ok, so here's my dumb question of the day... why would you not want a tuner to get more hp and tq to tow with and better fuel economy... a tuner doesnt mean you are a speed demon drag racer... there are many uses for one... :confused013:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I dont have a mommy or daddy and i'm 25 years old so why dont ya go suck on your daddies *#&@ i was just making a point that fiat brought it into dodge the year they bought them and even though its federally mandated now dodge could fix the problem of clogging and shutting down the truck.
i agree that the DPF are a hunk of crap that only hurts the truck, but your not making a very good intro for yourself there newbie, and as i read your first post it looked like you answered your own question so be respectful to others giving input, and act like your 25.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I want a "dod", I can't find them anywhere but they sound nice.
Anyone?

Anyone know where I can find a Dod?

Reactions: Elim

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,489 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Biotch fight!

:catfight::catfight2::engarde:

:devil045:
:hehe::hehe::shock: I was going to post something similar, luckily I finished reading the posts and found yours so.............:ditto::ditto::ditto::whip:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts