Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering should I use the Valvoline premium blue 5w-40 full synthetic or the premium blue 15w-40?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have always run 5W40 full sythetiic. I started out with Mobil Devac1 but last year switched to Amsoil. My oil change interval is 10,000 KMs. Truck has all emissions intact but I run with the EGR unplugged.

·
Administrator
7,072 Posts
5w40 Shell Rotella T full syn. Worlds ahead of dino. Would never go back.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
There is no prof your engine will last longer using synthetic.

Dino oil for my engine, if your going to fallow the the oil change schedule in your owners manual syn is a waste of money.

Then if you say the he1! with the manual and go for extended change intervals using syn it's a good idea to add filtration and delete the egr & dpf.

ps, I'm deleted and I still use Dino oil.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I ran mostly Mobil1 5W40 in my 2005, and changed it around 7-8K. But this 2010 tells me to change the oil so often that it doesn't make sense to run synthetic. But I've been doing it anyway. Went to synthetic at around 9K using Schaeffer 5W40. Next time around Royal Purple 15W40. May not continue using syns at this rate. Makes sense in the winter.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
:confused013: Mine started this am using 15w-40 dino,
temp -20*F (not plugged in)

I know 10w would be better a better choice but I don't drive it around in the winter, I just wanted to see if it would start.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rotella T6 5w-40

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I use amsoil 5-40 syn. year round, I just did a complete service on my truck diffs, tranny, t-case syn. oil through the complete truck..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts