Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What will the 2023 MY bring us?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
You do realize that your payload rating on the F450 DRW will drop considerably when you go and covert it to SRW right....

R.K.
That depends on the wheels and tires he puts on it, there are options out there for doing exactly this without sacrificing payload

Also In reference to the earlier comment about needing bigger tools. He's not wrong. The lug nuts are bigger and i think most of the suspensions components have an increase in size too...i mean nothing to the point that i don't already own the tools in my existing sets, but they are bigger i suppose...

As to the question, i think the smart money is 2025 assuming the pandemic eventually ends and things return to normal New tranny will happen with new cab, until then it'll probbaly be just little things that change between now and then

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
When you buy tires for your pickup, do you pay attention to anything other than size & tread pattern? Maybe, just as an arbitrary example, the load capacity? And, by some chance, might you have noticed that some tires have a higher load capacity than others?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all tires are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain load limits, that among these are unlimited capability, long lasting tread life, and the pursuit of traction

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
Sure do but you'll never achieve the same load rating in two tires that 4 tires provided.

R.K.
depends on the tires and wheels you use, if you replace the DRW tires and wheels with identically rated SRW tires and wheels, yeah, but if you upgrade them to higher capacity tires and wheels, well then, suddenly you can get similar load ratings. Sometimes you need to compare apples to oranges when you are given an apple and wanted an orange

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
but I like having some power
Keep in mind most C&C trucks are detuned, and IIRC some are harder to tune then others. I don't know any specifics, but i always remember hearing about C&C guys complaining about their ability to tune for more power. And of course we would be talking emissions compliant tunes since it is 2021 and deletes are no longer supported by the forum....

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
I did know about the C&C detuning. I didn't know that tuning was harder to come by for them in the RAMS. In the 6.7 Scorpion world, the tuning is a non issue. I've heard the C&C trucks have had different hard parts like a smaller turbo, but other than that nothing that would hinder their ability to be tuned.
It's common practice for C&C trucks to be detuned from the factory, they are meant to be worked hard by people that don't care, so they detune some to improve longevity. A first owner on a commercial vehicle is more likely to hold onto it statistically speaking past 100k, while i think most first owners of personal trucks keep them for less then 60k miles, so longevity is pushed more in them, which also comes to a detune. Because 99% of people, even in a commercial setting, don't need 1000 ft pounds

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
Damm all these people saying go drive a 10spd and you will hate your 6spd and here I am driving a 5spd which in reality is really a 4 spd since I rarely ever use 1st gear
That just makes me miss my old SM465. It had 4 gears, but they were geared like "ultra low" "Really low" "kinda low" and "driving"

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
the safe money has been saying MY2025 for the last 2 years or so, and then someone usualy says "i heard it'll be next year/month/week/day" But 2025 has been floated pretty consistently, and would make the most sense, especially with the current BS going on.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
Ford has already issued a huge recall for trans issues resulting in a partial tear down….. the aisin you have has been proven a reliable beast for many years…. I much prefer my 6 speed the last 10 speed i drove was all over the place shifing at weird times and was just not a pleasant drive
Fords having tranny issues??? i am sooo surprised

My Shocked Face GIFs | Tenor

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
Aside from that. does anyone have any idea when we will even start to hear about the 2023 to see what is in store?
More delays, return of some options, removal of other options due to shortages, possible war with Russia and Ukraine, which won't affect much, if china does anything with Taiwan then everything will get worse due to them being a major supplier of chps and tech. I wouldn't bet money on anything new coming out of the pipes until the pipes are reliable again. Thats why you are seeing massive corporations building new factories here, to replace ones in Asia that are no longer reliable

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
zero people buy a Tesla to wheel it thru the mountains.
I would totally do that. But then in order to afford it i would likely have $2-3 million worth of cars, in a shop worth more then most of our houses......but then i could make cool videos and tell people "you'll never guess what i just built" which would be a tesla powered yugo. for no reason whatsoever. But i would make sure it got a 12 inch or bigger touch screen worth more then the original car

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,627 Posts
"During its EV Day 2021 presentation, Stellantis said that the future of the Ram Heavy Duty lineup will be electrified. Koval seems to have confirmed that, in his interview with Motor Authority. However, don’t expect it to happen anytime soon. The current fourth-generation Ram Heavy Duty will receive several new updates for 2023, allowing the truck to at least continue production in its current state till 2028.

Koval explained that the possibility of an electrified Heavy Duty pickup could take place in the 2030s, however, he expects that timeline to be pulled forward dramatically.

Another interesting point, dropped by Stellantis during the EV Day 2021 presentation was the possible use of hydrogen fuel cells for the Heavy Duty pickup segment. Koval seemed to confirm that as he told Motor Authority he believes hydrogen fuel cells could be an interesting solution for both Heavy Duty pickup and Chassis Cab customers. He stated that RAM is looking at the possibilities, however, nothing has been decided on as of yet."

Cummins may power Ram’s hydrogen future – Stellpower
I'm not sure hydrogen will be able to take off to be able to do the job. for a number of reasons, #1 the infrastructure is not there. It will need to be built up from the ground up, and there is already more EV charging locations then hydrogen locations. While it could be argued that hydrogen could be an easier transition, its still in IC engine. When many states are banning sales of new IC engine vehicles, starting in the 2030s. Being a Washington state resident, i expect my last diesel vehicle to be purchased in 2028 or 2029. Once purchased it won't be sold until availability of fuel is to the point where it's impractical. So maybe the 2040s? If someone wanted to do something radical, look at the trains. Put in a small diesel generator, and a power pack. Give the batteries enough charge for 100 miles, and a generator capable of keeping up to add another 4-600 miles of range off a tank of fuel. All of the technology currently exists to do this. The generator can run at a constant speed for peak efficiency and economy meaning a smaller engine, smaller fuel tank, and better range with less emissions. Instant torque of electric motors can be a game changer, if someone just wants to put forth the effort to make a true hybrid and to try and simplify things, rather then complicate things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts