Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!

What will the 2023 MY bring us?

• New colors, yay....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We're getting an 8 speed ZF for sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Bangin' through the gears
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently waiting on a 2022 F-450 I have on order, but if RAM were to do an update in '23 and offer a new 8 or 9 speed I'd abandon this Ford idea. I ordered the Ford May 11th and haven't heard anything since Ford corporate sent me an email thanking me for my order the next day.

I've just been looking at the time frame and contemplating my options. If the F-450 ever gets here, I'll be converting it to SRW. It isn't that it's too much work, but it's a lot of work to then immediately turn around and switch over to a RAM to do the same thing. I'd much prefer a Cummins and if the new ZF they might source is as good as the ZF in my wife's 3.0L Diesel Wrangler, I'd be all in with no reservations.

I might have to wait until next spring for this Ford. At that point I'm imagining we'll have heard about the 2023 RAMs right?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have to ask, what are you hauling that you want a f450 and then to convert it to a single wheel?

·
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to ask, what are you hauling that you want a f450 and then to convert it to a single wheel?
Anything I have a mind to.

Here's what happened. I broke the NV5600 in my 2005 last year (4th gear let loose). While I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my 2005, I decided to do some tire kicking while we were out and about. Drove a 2020 SRW RAM 3500, decent truck. Drove a 2020 Ford SRW F-350 and I flat out dug the way the 10 speed and all that power went together. Truck wasn't optioned how I wanted it though.

Next day I went up the street to the local Ford dealer and saw a really sharp Lariat on the lot. Opened the door and saw 4513lbs of payload staring me in the face. That made me do a double take. I always figured I'd end up having to get a DRW pickup when I finally upgraded, but 4500lbs might just get me to where I want to be. Been looking at new fifth wheels with pin weights of around 3500lbs, sometimes a bit heavier, and to get there in a legal/legit way appeals to me. I have been towing way over the limits with my 2005 forever. Not ashamed, and really not all that worried, but at some point I wanted to move up to a pickup that was designed to pull and haul a heavier load.

I am one of these guys that likes to modify. I hadn't planned on making an SRW out of DRW initially. But after I got a recall notice from Ford stating that my payload was overstated by about 550lbs, my whole little happy with my pickup world view changed. I never had any reason to question Ford's ability to correctly calculate payload so I did not go check it myself. Well after doing so I found the numbers were not going to jive for me. IIRC my rear axle weighs 3600 lbs with just my family in the truck with no real extra's. Well the RAWR on the Ford is only 7230lbs. Not enough head room for my taste. So I decided to order an F-450 and convert it. Tighter turning radius, 9900lb RAWR, bigger brakes. The entire situation is a total PITA, but it is what it is. I got stuck on the SRW again and that's what I'm going to do. The go most anywhere tow rig.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Converting a f450 to SRW isn't advisable. You even have to take them to specific dealers that have tools large enough to work in them. But hey it's your wallet. Wish you the best.

·
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Converting a f450 to SRW isn't advisable. You even have to take them to specific dealers that have tools large enough to work in them. But hey it's your wallet. Wish you the best.
Isn't advisable by who, you? Tools large enough to work on them? OMG lol.

·
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you need an 8+ speed transmission with a Cummins?
Have you driven a newer vehicle with an 8 or 10 speed? The 8 speed in my wife's wrangler is amazing. The 10 speed in my current 2020 F-350 is pretty dang decent. The Allison 6 speed I had in my 07.5 LMM Duramax was pretty dang nice,
but the 6 speed auto's in the RAMs suck....IMO.

I contemplated getting a 2010+ 4500 or 5500 RAM and building that out with a built Allison swapped in, but if they are going to switch to a ZF that would be the ticket. I don't leave anything stock, and I'd just assume skip the 6 speed Aisin or the 68rfe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you driven a newer vehicle with an 8 or 10 speed? The 8 speed in my wife's wrangler is amazing. The 10 speed in my current 2020 F-350 is pretty dang decent. The Allison 6 speed I had in my 07.5 LMM Duramax was pretty dang nice,
but the 6 speed auto's in the RAMs suck....IMO.

I contemplated getting a 2010+ 4500 or 5500 RAM and building that out with a built Allison swapped in, but if they are going to switch to a ZF that would be the ticket. I don't leave anything stock, and I'd just assume skip the 6 speed Aisin or the 68rfe.
So because a Wrangler, Ford, and GM have them, you need one too? Jump ship and get a Ford then. I don’t see Ram getting one in the HD lineup. The 68rfe and Aisin have been reliable. There is no reason to fix what isn’t broken….

·
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So because a Wrangler, Ford, and GM have them, you need one too? Jump ship and get a Ford then. I don’t see Ram getting one in the HD lineup. The 68rfe and Aisin have been reliable. There is no reason to fix what isn’t broken….
Your opinion then is that the 6.7L Cummins couldn't benefit from 2 or 3 more gears? So if they offered an 8 speed in the next couple years and you were in the market I suppose you'd be lamenting over how great the old 6 speeds were?

The only reason RAM wouldn't is because the market hasn't forced them to yet. They will eventually. Not many buy a RAM because of the transmission. If they went to a solid ZF 8 speed they'd eat everyone's lunch. I kinda think they're just going to sit on their hands for a while, but I'd love to be wrong. Be fun to see what people like you have to say after they make the change.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’ve got a 2022 on order and personally couldn’t care less if there was a transmission change for 2023, 2024, or 2025. The 68rfe is more than satisfactory. My last truck never had any issues (except for the solenoid pack at 100k). Don’t expect there to be any problems with the next. Both automatic transmissions have proven to be reliable workhorses.

but I do agree. Ram is going to sit on their thumbs for any major overhauls until the covid-caused shortages/delays are over. People are going to buy their trucks no matter what, since the other manufactures are having issues with production as well.

·
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve got a 2022 on order and personally couldn’t care less if there was a transmission change for 2023, 2024, or 2025. The 68rfe is more than satisfactory. My last truck never had any issues (except for the solenoid pack at 100k). Don’t expect there to be any problems with the next. Both automatic transmissions have proven to be reliable workhorses.

but I do agree. Ram is going to sit on their thumbs for any major overhauls until the covid-caused shortages/delays are over. People are going to buy their trucks no matter what, since the other manufactures are having issues with production as well.
Agreed, though if they already had the test mules out just in the old cabs, we might yet see a change. If they can get more market share and their getting a good deal on the Transmissions, it could still happen. I do kinda doubt it though. An extra low gear and a double overdrive wouldn't hurt any feelings would it?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My biggest gripe about my old truck was the 68rfe. It was the most clunky, random shifting, transmission I’ve ever had.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Take this for what is worth but on another forum I frequent there are 2 gentleman that supposedly work in the Ram prototype department and they said no significant changes going out a few more years. You might see a few small changes here and there but don't expect any redesigns or major changes for another couple of years.
Obviously if they are who they say they would know as they would be designing and testing those models now. But it's the internet and I have no proof but they did seem legitimate. Also given the current state of the world with labor and supply issues etc. I feel most manufactures are not going to be making major changes at this point. Too much risk.

Reactions: Sandaholic

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
With all the supply chain issues, I would bet the Ram gets the equivalent of "BNG (Bold New Graphics)" for 2023.

They need a trans fast, anyone who has driven one of the new 10 speeds will see this.

They are pure bliss, especially with transmission tuning. Always in the right gear, no lugging, skip shifts, all that good stuff.

Really makes you want to dump a 20 year old 4 speed Chrysler slush box...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Really makes you want to dump a 20 year old 4 speed Chrysler slush box...
True story. We service a lot of commercial f450's, and there really is no substitute for, any gear, at any time, at any throttle stomp. The almost instantaneous torque will make you never want to go back, loaded or unloaded. What a world to live in, where we have stock 4 door DRW diesels that can run a sub 10 1/8 mile.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Said a lot of companies no longer in business. Need to keep improving your product.
Lol like a transmission not being updated in the middle of covid shortages is going to cause a truck line to collapse.
The question was about 2023. They might have it planned for 2024+, just don’t see them investing heavily in to the power train while their are covid shortages everywhere. People are going to buy what they’re selling regardless of the tranny.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Lol like a transmission not being updated in the middle of covid shortages is going to cause a truck line to collapse.
The question was about 2023. They might have it planned for 2024+, just don’t see them investing heavily in to the power train while their are covid shortages everywhere. People are going to buy what they’re selling regardless of the tranny.
I agree that probably not much will change in the current environment with the shortages and such. They are doing all they can just to make what they have now.
But, I can tell you I went to a GMC because of the Ram and same old transmissions. Whenever Ram decides to change up the transmissions, I’ll probably be back in a Ram. They need to keep up with the times, and if you test drive a newer Power stroke or Duramax with the 10 speed, you will not be happy with either of the 6 speeds.

·
Registered
176 Posts
People are going to buy what they’re selling regardless of the tranny.
Pretty much. Just the fact that ordering a 2021 truck, and not getting it until 2022 is enough to show that even buying the newest still doesn't mean that by the time they are getting it, it will still be the newest.

Reactions: timnewton

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was a die hard Ford guy, coming out of four Super Duty's and into my 2021 RAM 3500. I have 8K miles on her now and I have zero complaints about the 68RFE so far (knock on wood lol). I had the 66RFE in my Power Wagon and it was absolute trash, I'd never own another but this 68 is just fine by me. I'll do the deep sump and brace here soon and just keep it going.

@Sandaholic I have a 4520lb payload in mine but it's a single cab. BTW, I am all for the SRW conversion on the F-450/550, I almost went that route myself, the wider axles make for a nice turning radius as well. DBL and Buckstop do a bang up job with those conversions so don't worry about the haters, I like the 41's too.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts