Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rolled my 04.5, and my insurance company is giving me $33,000 for it. I'm considering buying a 08 6.7 with the 6 speed manual, in the US. I know I won't have any warranty when I bring it back to Canada, but that does not concern me as I plan on removing the emission equipment and bombing it right away.

I recently took out a 08 for a test drive and couldn't stand the throttle response. I had a very difficult time driving the truck smoothly. The engine was slow to respond to pedal inputs, and I had a difficult time matching rpms while down shifting. The throttle seemed very disconnected from the engine.

I need to know if the aftermarket power adders will make the pedal respond more like my 04.5?

If not this could be a deal breaker for me. I drove a 06 the very same day, and it drove just like my 04.5. The truck responded so nicely that I had no problem with clutch less up shifts just like I used to do with my 04.5.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'd like to know this as well, excellent question.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah me too. My manual transmission really sucks as far as response time with the motor. They told me the AX flash was suppose to fix that........WRONG!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I know mine is hit and miss...some days it's great, other days it feels like a dog.

I know the edge has a setting for low end response, or something along that line. But I'd like to know this too.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
As far as improving the engines response i dont think you are gonna get that. Its just something on these new trucks you have to get used to. There is no throttle cable any more. Its all electronic. There is a little delay in the pedal. I cannot say i like it a ton but thats the way it is. You cant just tap the throttle to match rpms to downshift. You have to hold the pedal til RPMs pop. It shouldnt be a deal breaker though, IMO. These really are great trucks and have good power.

·
Registered
331 Posts
They do get broke in a little better guys. My 07.5 has 43,000 miles now and I still notice it a little bit but not huge. My roomate just bought a 08 about a month ago(he complains about the throttle response as well). I was drunk so I let my roomate drive my truck and he would not shut up about how much better my throttle response is. Only thing I told him is that maybe being broke in helps that much more? It is either the difference between the 07.5 and the 08 or else its just my truck is broke in. I am hoping it is the truck being broke in for the rest of you. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
634 Posts
A lot of the throttle lag is from the egr. I removed mine for about an hour and the difference was night and day. The electronic throttle control may be to blame for a little of it, but I think it's mostly the egr butterfly valve. By the way my '07 is for sale.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just wonder how much of that is do to the Blue tech or what ever they call that crab that burns more of the diesel off.I know ford put that on there trucks and it is killing there gas mileage.Dodge will not even put it (mileage) on there new diesels I started to buy one last week and I was just to scared to loose my 16 miles to a Gallon with a trailer that stays hooked to my 03.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
EPA doesn't require fuel MPG listings on heavy duty vehicles, and 3/4 ton on up falls into that catagory.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I drive a 2008 Ford F250 PSD everynight at work pulling a stock trailer and two horses, and our mileage is 6-8 mpg. I'm putting in over a $100 in diesel everynight while at work. We still have a few of the 2006 Dodge 5.9's in the fleet and that is our truck of choice for several reasons, but I don't know how anyone could ever afford to buy and drive the new Ford with their crappy mileage.

My truck still has the DPF and EGR inplace and I at least get 17mpg on the highway, and even mid 18's when not in regen.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ya My truck is an 08auto but I don't feel the electronic throttle can be blamed my 05 hemi was the first year for it on the trucks and it had no lag in the throttle response at all. Something i miss but i think a lot of it is the egr ciamcoop and the turbo taking so long to spool. When i put my mp-8 on i'm getting a lot more fuel off idle and it doesn't have near as much hesitation not sure if that helps any sense i'm running an auto but it is still the engine doin it not the tranny so should be some helpfull input. Diverb ya i know some guys with new fords they sure don't impress me we also have about 15 pre6.7 dodges were i work can't go wrong with cummins fuel economy if you ask me along with towing power. Diesels were ment to be inline engines for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Exhaust and ts chip helped me a lot, there is still a little lag, but not near as bad as stock.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Throttle Lag

A lot of the throttle lag is from the egr. I removed mine for about an hour and the difference was night and day. The electronic throttle control may be to blame for a little of it, but I think it's mostly the egr butterfly valve. By the way my '07 is for sale.
Yeah, I kinda figured it may have something to do with the EGR. Thanks for the information. I can not wait to remove mine along with the DPF.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just got my turbo replaced and exhaust yesterday. Along with it I got the G30 recall done and the AX flash done. I was a little scared to get the updated flash but I dont think it hurt any. The throttle response is a little better now and that is with the stock air box back on. As soon as I get the AFE, Edge, TBE and EGR on I will report back. It can only get better. Might add a MP8 soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts