Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I went down to Cummins today to get a set of filters. Started talking to one of there head mechanics . He told me removing the silencer ring actually affectsthe turbo's performance . He said the ring is there to funnel the air into the turbo making it a smooth constant flow . He said once you remove it . You loose the funnel of air going into the turbo then it actually doestn run as iffecient as it should . He said think of it as pouring oil into your truck with a funnel . Then take the funnel away and pour ... ......Makes sence to me Once you think about it . I'ed rather have less noise and more efficient :thumbsup Then more noise and less efficient :thud:So as of now my silencer ring is back in . Any one have any thoughts on this ??:thumbsup:beer

·
Registered
708 Posts
True......

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
he probably meant 6.7 because they are designed alot diff and there is still a huge debate on that also some lose power some gain power and some keep the some power but who really knows

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I've had a mechanic at the Chevy dealership tell me that the new Duramaxes (my dad has one) didn't have a fuel filter other than the sock in the tank... come to find out they DO have one. Point of the story is... just cause they're a "mechanic" doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he probably meant 6.7 because they are designed alot diff and there is still a huge debate on that also some lose power some gain power and some keep the some power but who really knows
No he came out and checked out my truck . The guys been a diesel mechanic for over 20 yrs . Even the head shop guy at work told me to go straight to cummins . Never had a chance till today . Glad i did :thumbsup

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had a mechanic at the Chevy dealership tell me that the new Duramaxes (my dad has one) didn't have a fuel filter other than the sock in the tank... come to find out they DO have one. Point of the story is... just cause they're a "mechanic" doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

Yeah but think about what the guy told me . Sounds true to me , go get a funnel and some oil and get back to me with the results :butt:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
i picked up a couple miles per gallon when i added my cai and removed ring. im not putting mine back in:peelout

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
thats true just look at the turbo w/ out the ring then with the ring and you can tell that the ring makes the flow constant and smooth. do the 6.7's even have them since they have variable speed turbo's

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
look at the size diff with it in and then with it out what 1/4"to 1/2" that aint going to make a diff its like pissing with the seat up compared to down it done really make a diff

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
thats true just look at the turbo w/ out the ring then with the ring and you can tell that the ring makes the flow constant and smooth. do the 6.7's even have them since they have variable speed turbo's
6.7's have them, they a bear to remove and from what ive heard its not advisable to remove them on 6.7s

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i picked up a couple miles per gallon when i added my cai and removed ring. im not putting mine back in:peelout
I dont see how you gained mpg maybe with the cai is where u gained . A turbo Runs off the exhaust so removing the ring has no affect on gaining performance just noise . I think when guys remove it and say oh theres a diffrence i think them hearing the turbo is making them think it "spools" better . All i know mine is back in . Take it for what its worth . If it wasnt needed Do you think they would have put it in ?:w:

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
oh yes and they are not made to be taken out they are held in by three dowel pins you pretty much have to break them to get them out and it is a ring with the rods holding onto a tube much different

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I mean, I see the theory behind it... but isn't that the same theory as those vortex fuel savers that stick into the intake? Has anybody on here had success with those things? His example was pouring oil into your engine without a funnel... but you actually make the intake bigger when you take the silencer ring out.. so it'd be more like making the hole where you pour oil into bigger.

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
look at the size diff with it in and then with it out what 1/4"to 1/2" that aint going to make a diff its like pissing with the seat up compared to down it done really make a diff
Yeah but look at the fins on the turbo its only gonna suck so much in . Even with the ring gone your not gaining air into the turbo ......:thud:

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I mean, I see the theory behind it... but isn't that the same theory as those vortex fuel savers that stick into the intake? Has anybody on here had success with those things? His example was pouring oil into your engine without a funnel... but you actually make the intake bigger when you take the silencer ring out.. so it'd be more like making the hole where you pour oil into bigger.
I use one on a 74 dodge with a 440 i gained 50 miles per tank so yeah it worked :T::lol3:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Most if not all aftermarket turbos do not have silencer rings. If it was that important I am sure all would have a silencer ring.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I dont see how you gained mpg maybe with the cai is where u gained . A turbo Runs off the exhaust so removing the ring has no affect on gaining performance just noise . I think when guys remove it and say oh theres a diffrence i think them hearing the turbo is making them think it "spools" better . All i know mine is back in . Take it for what its worth . If it wasnt needed Do you think they would have put it in ?:w:
mpg gain probably was from the intake, the silerencer rings were added at chryslers request to cummins, nothings gained or lost from loosing it. The turbo is driven off the exhaust but the boost air comes from the compressor wheel on the intake side. the more cool free flowing air the better

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
well I went and looked at my BD turbo and sure enough, the intake doesn't have a "ring" on it, but there is only a hole 2 1/4" wide for the air to come into. Maybe there is something to having a smaller intake hole. It doesn't have any sort of funnel though, it's just a straight drop off.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts