Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my truck back from the local Dodge dealer after having the fuel sending unit replaced. They tried to up sell me on a $149 diesel injector chemical flush, which they said would increase mileage by 10%! I smell bovine excrement...... I passed.

But that led me to thinking: is there any need to run some type of injection cleaner through the engine periodically? I do it for my gasoline vehicles. I had my Expedition's injectors chemically cleaned at the dealer with absolutely no noticable change, hence my reluctance to do it again to my Cummins. I'm running 2 cycle Wal-Mart oil at 125:1 (8ml per litre). Is the 2 cycle oil helpful as an injector cleaner or just lubricity enhancer?

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
I smell bovine excrement...... I passed.
You have a good smeller..

You can run injector cleaner. There are several products out there. IMO, they don't do anything running the peewaddin' out of it once in awhile won't do. Heat will burn any carbon deposits off..

I have a VP pumped truck, so I do run the 2 stroke to stave off the VP failure. It only increase lubricity to my knowledge.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I talked to a Guy that runs an Injector Shop, And asked him about that "Injector cleaner, and "fuel System Cleaner Addictives". He pointed out a very good point to me... He said, that "IF that stuff does work, Where do all your depoits go? Straight to the Injectors... Now remember, when we are talking injectors, we are talking millionths of an Inch of tolerances. So what can sometimes happen is injector nozzles fail, or get partially clogged and cannot always get rid of the deposits." Which is why they offer shops that clean, and cycle injectors (out of the vehicle obviously) in a cleaning liquid. and can also flow test them as well to insure they are all spraying evenly.

Hope this Helps!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
a pop test is the only way I know to actually "clean" and injector. Of course a shop with a fancy machine will need to do it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
the only thing injector or fuel system cleaners do is clean out your wallet...:$:

can you say "snake oil"?

·
Tennesse Chapter President
1,614 Posts
after a guy had his injectors cleaned, and still had a problem, came in and when we removed his fuel rail we noticed there were alot of junk on the rail side of his injectors. So how could a cleaning do any good?

·
Registered
427 Posts
The diesel tech at the dealer where I bought my truck, said to make sure I had my injectors cleaned every 30k. I kinda wondered about it then and still do. I'm at 35k now and haven't had them cleaned. Once in a while I'll run a tank with a little added Power Service injector cleaner but I think that might be just the placebo effect in action.

I don't planned on having the injectors cleaned.:butt:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great information guys. Thanks!:thumbsup

I think I'll just leave well enough alone. The truck runs fine. I'll keep using 2-stroke oil and leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
+1 to suprcynic. I wouldn't say it's complete snake oil. Only if you pay more than $10 for it. I had QUITE a difference from running some bio through my truck. It plugged my fuel filter but cleaned my injectors. More power, and smoother idle. I would guess the commercial cleaners probably will do about the same. A couple of my in laws do long haul and have this cleaner stuff they swear by, but I can't remember it right now.

Course I PULLED those injectors and put new tips on, but I still noticed a difference at the time. And if you can notice it, I would say it could be worthwhile. I also had 250,000 miles of contractor thrashing on my truck at the time, a lower mileage truck might make less difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts