Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be pulling a 12k fifth wheel and I live in West Virginia. My truck is stock with the exception of an air intake (K&N) and a larger exhaust.

Thanks

G

·
ill tell you my 5ver is heavy i think 15740 and the boost and pyro are awesome to have maybe trans temp and fuel pressure good luck

G

·
Boost, Exhaust and Trans. Always a good idea, especially when hauling. Fuel Pressure isn't going to tell you anything other than it's there.

·
Cowgirls are from Venus
1,724 Posts
It's always nice having the gauges - I like knowing when things aren't running at optimum performance. And knowing when the trans is starting to overheat can save you from a lot of extra work :$:

·
Registered
449 Posts
After pulling my folks fifthe wheel I say every truck needs an EGT gauge, I turned everything off and it was amazing how hot they would get,

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
A pyro and trans temp if you have an auto and tow are not a bad idea.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
I will be pulling a 12k fifth wheel and I live in West Virginia. My truck is stock with the exception of an air intake (K&N) and a larger exhaust.

Thanks
One thing you will find is that the truck runs hotter than most consider okay, on the pyro... but on the same token how many people are towing all day every day without gauges without problems??

Me I like gauges even on a stock rig, so my vote is yes.

·
Registered
679 Posts
gauges are always a good thing to have.
ps, loose the k&n for a real filter

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
yes lose the k and n the new amsoil nano is a great unit gettin mine soon gauges are a must

·
Registered
841 Posts
on a stock truck, gauges are not a must ... sure they would be nice but I'd also spend my money somewhere else if you plan on keeping it stock.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I would say your fine with a stock truck i have hauled 5-10 tons all day long with no problems that was in a 3500 with 4.10s

·
Registered
231 Posts
One thing you will find is that the truck runs hotter than most consider okay, on the pyro... but on the same token how many people are towing all day every day without gauges without problems??

How do we know whats too hot?

I've e-mailed Cummins twice and called them once. I was wanting to know how hot was too hot. All three times they flat out said,they won't release that info. They said a single probe was pointless as it didn't read all 6 cylinders.

The tech at Cummins NW that I spoke with, did say that unless you did something stupid a stock truck would not get hot enough to hurt itself.

He made a good point,the Cummins is so overbuilt for the truck its in,that if you stay within the ratings Dodge has applied to your truck,you'll be fine.

He said the guys that have problems are the ones trying to pull 25,000 down the highway at 90mph.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
I have asked cummins that question also and have been told that a) a stock motor wont hurt itself, and b) that cylinder temps are 1350* at rated power/rpm, and EGT is 1090* post turbo at rated rpm/power...

Well those two things contradict each other, 1400* is very easy to obtain and hotter is possible as well, on a stock truck.

For years 1250* has been a good continuous number to use. Is a stock motor going to hurt itself? Most likley not, but I real uncomfortable with EGTs as high as stock can get, and when I was stock I drove the pyro when towing which could limit power.... That is the main reason I went with a Smarty Jr, bring the timing back to a reasonable level, get some extra power and mpgs...

The biggies thing is that we probably suffer from a case of TMI, if I just let it be no gauges and drove it within its limits I doubt I would ever hurt it....

·
Registered
841 Posts
.... That is the main reason I went with a Smarty Jr, bring the timing back to a reasonable level, get some extra power and mpgs...

The biggies thing is that we probably suffer from a case of TMI, if I just let it be no gauges and drove it within its limits I doubt I would ever hurt it....
Well said ... :beer

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

i agree, with guages you will always know how your engine is handling a load

1 - 20 of 24 Posts