Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the idea of getting an FTE resonator for awhile...
Watched this YouTube video and now I'm rethinking that decision. What say you guys?

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My bad... I meant to post this in 2nd gen but thats OK. I'm sure everyone will see it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Interesting. That looks super restricted, no wonder.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
GOOD LORD -125HP on a mod truck difference .

Who knew , thanks for the info on the auger style resonator .
Super nice to get rid of drone , but ohh my what a price to pay .

PS. this was on a high flow mod truck flowing way more air than a more standard truck so keep that in mind .

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I’ve seen people on here claim this as well but find it hard to believe but who knows right. That’s why I haven’t got one yet either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Had a 5" diameter, 30" FTE resonator on my setup in front of a 51" Donaldson muffler, the FTE would produce a whistle-like noise under full acceleration. Just ditched it recently, noise is much better now with just the muffler.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'd like to see a similar test in a close to stock configuration. Running at 850+ HP requires extreme fueling along with a completely free flowing (maybe over-sized) intake and exhaust and a large turbo. At that power level, any bottleneck is going to dramatically cut power. For most of us running closer to stock, I doubt the exhaust restriction in a resonator is that big of a deal. Especially if combined with a high flow muffler and installed in place of the stock S-shaped muffler and a cat.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have the flo pro twister and I have to say it works very well at killing drone. When I went to a 5" Magnaflow tbe it was obnoxious and the drone would drive me crazy so I installed the twister. I am now thinking about ditching that now after seeing this and replacing it with a magnaflow muffler and see if I can lose the drone but still keep a little of the lovely sounds! I figured my compounds would make a muffler or resonator obsolete but that sure wasn't the case for my application! Does anyone have any experience with the magnaflow 12776 universal muffler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Just saw this last night as well. Shocking, but let’s back off and be realistic for a moment: how many of us are trying to drive a 900hp 7.70 index truck?

I’m sure it robs a little power for us sub-600hp folks (and sub-400 like me on stock fuel and air) but I bet nowhere near as much as the factory DOC, DPF, and NOx do/did. And that’s also at WOT with max fueling. I’m betting at normal cruise (10-20% throttle) it’s minimal impact.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Obviously a mild HP engine is not going to see 120 HP reduction... Hopefully no one would believe that after watching the video.

But how much power will any engine loose with an FTE resonator is something no one can answer because no one has performed a with and without dyno comparison. Speculation and assumptions is kinda mute here.

And I would bet a dollar that before this video was ever made if anyone would have suggested they could loose considerable power by running an FTE resonator, the masses of members would jump in and respond with a "heck no." And why wouldnt they since FTE's own website says "This unique spiral design virtually eliminates the unwanted sound while keeping flow characteristics for both performance and EGT reduction." and "No gain in EGT or reduction in flow" so why would anyone ever think anything else??? There's no disclaimer saying...this only applies to engines under "X" horsepower.

I definitely do not know what the power loss would be for any engine running one of these resonators nor am I saying there would be any, and obviously cruising around town driving isnt the topic of discussion. But I can say that when I'm pulling my heavy trailers up long highway grades at WOT, I want everything that engine can offer. Until someone (preferably FTE) can prove there's no difference until certain HP levels, I think I'll just keep my truck as it is. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm actually surprised no one makes an exhaust wave generator for these trucks. There's plenty of room... :confused013:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Interesting video for sure. Maybe the @PowerDrivenDiesel guys will do a comparison. I switched from 4” straight pipe to a 5” flopro with 5” resonator and muffler and it is much quieter obviously. Not as quiet as stock but maybe 30% of the way to straight pipe. One thing I did notice is that it holds onto EGTs a few seconds longer after I let out of it, but I also switched from a 83/74 .90 turbine to 80/71 .80 at the same time.

As I was under the truck checking clamps one of the neighbors walked by and said “wow that tune up really smoothed it out, I used to hear that thing from down the block”. I realized it’s likely worth it to keep the peace while I’m here in Hawaii with high population density. Straight pipe sounds the best but just pisses off too many people.

In a perfect world with enough time on my hands I’d rig up an electric cutout for straight pipe before the resonator so I could have the sound and flow when I want it out in the sticks.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've got a 5" x 30" FTE resonator right after the down pipe.... certainly didn't feel like any difference in the butt dyno over the straight pipe...

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Has anyone tried the Helmholtz style resonator to actually cancel out drone ?
Basically a dead ended T near the rear of the system , gasses do not actually flow thru it ( its dead ended ) but has to do with sound waves and the length ect ect

Quite common in the sports car , tuner and even on my Tundra to effectively cancel drone at a certain RPM range .
Some kind of formula ,, offensive RPM , displacement and pipe diameter ,, ect ect

Dunno , perhaps the giant pipe sizes on these trucks vs the room to install is why its not common . Then again one would have to run data thru the formula to find the length and diameter pipe section nessasary vs the room to do it

just a thought .
24hrsparkey

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's exactly what I asked two posts ago...
With all the space underneath these trucks you think somebody would have tried it by now.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
You did though...:thumbup:
Thanks , Yeah well I spent almost ten years being crew chief , coach , transport driver and finance officer for my son who raced AMA youth thru amateur flat track from 5.5 to 16 ish.
We both learned allot ,had fun ( but kinda searious type of fun ) .
Also learned how to make a small fortune ( start with a large fortune and then race motorcycles ) lol. ( oldest racing joke there is )

Anyway more to the point .... all that taught me to think outside the box , both for the bikes and the racer as well .

24hrsparkey

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Has anyone tried the Helmholtz style resonator to actually cancel out drone ?

Basically a dead ended T near the rear of the system , gasses do not actually flow thru it ( its dead ended ) but has to do with sound waves and the length ect ect

Quite common in the sports car , tuner and even on my Tundra to effectively cancel drone at a certain RPM range .

Some kind of formula ,, offensive RPM , displacement and pipe diameter ,, ect ect

Dunno , perhaps the giant pipe sizes on these trucks vs the room to install is why its not common . Then again one would have to run data thru the formula to find the length and diameter pipe section nessasary vs the room to do it

just a thought .

24hrsparkey

If I remember right several years ago someone did this already and made a thread about it. Good luck finding it though, it’s gotta be ancient.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts