Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or is the only option selling it out right if you don’t put it back to stock? I’d really like to delete my truck ,but it would really suck having to put all that crap back on later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most dealerships will. All of the ones I went to here in WA would without question. Depends on the state I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Lol they buy them here, and advertize them capitalizing on the "deleted" part. Seen some asking more because it was deleted.

It may be a Canada thing, but I believe once it's become a used vehicle, whatever mods the previous owner does don't have to be reverted, unless they're illegal (like overtint etc). Emissions falls under that. As long as the vehicle isn't being sold in region with a smog test (like Vancouver or GTA) it usually doesn't even come into consideration.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
White Lightning
13,389 Posts
Reactions: Flight medic

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Some do here but it violates federal and state laws. Here even the dealer that is selling a brand new truck has to sign an affidavit that the emissions are intact and have not been modified, same paperwork also has to be signed when selling used trucks if you are a dealer. Most will not touch them. But my son did buy a deleted F250 from a dealer and they advertised it as deleted and gave him the paper work stating the emissions were intact and had not been modified. Big dealers will not touch them either way around here, as I could go back and demand they fix the emissions to federal standards and they would have no choice, a dealer selling s deleted truck is looking at a $25K federal fine, an individual selling a deleted truck is looking at a $2,500 fine all it takes is someone to complain about the sale.

If you do delete, just expect to have fewer buyers and expect less money then a stock truck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I held on to my emissions equipment for when it comes time to trade in. I plan on keeping this one for a long time, but when I trade in everything will be in the bed and the dealer can do as they please with it.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Absolutely they take deleted trucks. I’ve traded in 2 deleted trucks. I threw all my emissions equipment in the trash.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Some do here but it violates federal and state laws. Here even the dealer that is selling a brand new truck has to sign an affidavit that the emissions are intact and have not been modified, same paperwork also has to be signed when selling used trucks if you are a dealer. Most will not touch them. But my son did buy a deleted F250 from a dealer and they advertised it as deleted and gave him the paper work stating the emissions were intact and had not been modified. Big dealers will not touch them either way around here, as I could go back and demand they fix the emissions to federal standards and they would have no choice, a dealer selling s deleted truck is looking at a $25K federal fine, an individual selling a deleted truck is looking at a $2,500 fine all it takes is someone to complain about the sale.

If you do delete, just expect to have fewer buyers and expect less money then a stock truck.
Unless you live near me, then expect your truck to be worth more, either private sale or trade in, because it is deleted. Lotsa farmers and ranchers around here buy new Laramie Limiteds and delete them mile 0. Local dealer loves deleted trade in trucks, they sell FAST!

One size doesn't fit all.

Reactions: phxpsd

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Unless you live near me, then expect your truck to be worth more, either private sale or trade in, because it is deleted. Lotsa farmers and ranchers around here buy new Laramie Limiteds and delete them mile 0. Local dealer loves deleted trade in trucks, they sell FAST!

One size doesn't fit all.
Even the people who do want to delete, prefer to buy an un deleted one and do it themselves so they know it was done right and the truck was not abused. No one wants to buy someone else's problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What are the benefits of deleting? Power, fuel economy, longevity?

I’m new to diesel power and honesty don’t know. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
What are the benefits of deleting? Power, fuel economy, longevity?

I’m new to diesel power and honesty don’t know. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Power, no more dead pedal. Fuel economy goes up. Not much on a 2013+ but it goes up. Longevity will still be the same, except now you won’t have to deal with emission equipment repairs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Power, no more dead pedal. Fuel economy goes up. Not much on a 2013+ but it goes up. Longevity will still be the same, except now you won’t have to deal with emission equipment repairs.
This is why I want to delete. My engine light has been on for several years. The pcm has been reflashed once. Next up is to warranty the exhaust. I’m just sick of it all really. Just reading about these tuners getting nailed by the epa and now flo-pro I heard was on the fence about not selling delete pipes in the US anymore. It’s just got me thinking about dealers.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Even the people who do want to delete, prefer to buy an un deleted one and do it themselves so they know it was done right and the truck was not abused. No one wants to buy someone else's problem.
Any buyer that is even the least bit educated on modifying vehicles would agree with you that it’s best to start with a fresh slate when starting a build.

However, there’s enough stupid kids and “diesel drunks” that don’t know or don’t care what they’re getting into. Those are the people that buy used, deleted trucks and clearly there’s enough to support the market. Granted not everyone that buys used deleted is a fool some just don’t know any better, but we both know the dealership isn’t going to tell them what they’re getting into.

Around here I call it the diesel tax on used trucks. A clean body 99+ Super Duty gas truck is a tough sell, the same truck with a rusted out body and 7.3L Powerstroke will still sell for $5k needing a transmission or rear end, a second gen Cummins with 300k miles and a beat body can still fetch $6-8k easily. Add another premium for a manual transmission too. Dealerships around here sell 2017/18 trucks with 40-60k miles for mid-upper $40k range. I personally know a guy that bought a new tradesmen for $44k and sold it 30k miles later for $41k in a private sale. My 16 has 20k on it right now, and based on used market around here I think I could at least break even from what I paid 2 years ago. Plenty of guys around here will drive south, bring back 2-3 rust free diesel trucks from the late 90s/early 2000s and make a fat profit selling them here.

I’m glad I discovered Internet forums before I bought my truck and new what to look for when buying mine.

Reactions: hseII

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sure. They dont want that trash on them anymore than we do

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
When I bought my RAM, the dealer said all deleted trucks go to the auction house. Ask your dealer what their policy is. The dealer is the only one touching my truck, so I needed the warranty intact.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I traded in a deleted truck. In CO, they can take them but have to sell them with the emission equipment installed. I keep my stuff for when I decide to trade.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im assuming the dealers just reflash the ecm to put the struck back to stock if they need too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The dealership I bought mine from took mine in on a trade fully deleted and put it back stock and I bought it actually the salesman that sold it to me had it so I just got the deleted stuff from him traded a pistol for it so yes they take deleted trucks I’m sure most any of them will do anything for a sale

1 - 20 of 45 Posts