Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a buddy who is looking at buying a Dmax... he wants a 05+ anything that he should be looking out for? and we can't change his mind he is one of these guys that he thinks he has to have something different then everyone else... and everyone we know has cummins and powerstrokes... so tell me everything I need to know to tell him to check out

·
Banned
201 Posts
go ahead and tell em to get a '06 or '07 LBZ. They seem to be the most well rounded Dmax. Extremely responsive and they run awfully well.

Brayden at Fleece Performance is a Dmax guru and he loves those LBZs

·
Banned
201 Posts
Also since you're on here, you'll prob get somebody ragging on those Dmaxes...but I own a 05 6spd CR and I'm here to tell you right now that those Dmaxes are extremely good.

They don't have a torque range realistically, especially w/ EFI live setups done. Capable of 5,000 rpms and you RARELY see those trucks pull down or let up when loaded or even at truck pulls. They continue to pull through the strain.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Guys I have a buddy who is looking at buying a Dmax... he wants a 05+ anything that he should be looking out for? and we can't change his mind he is one of these guys that he thinks he has to have something different then everyone else... and everyone we know has cummins and powerstrokes... so tell me everything I need to know to tell him to check out
Have your buddy go over to The Diesel Place & Duramax Forum and sign up. He can ask all the questions about the different years pros & cons and decide.

Like any other used diesel. It would be good to ask questions to the owner of the truck about regular maintenance & how he/she used the truck, especially if heavily modded.

Problematics of GM Diesel trucks are, wheel bearings, front end components (stock tie rods, sway bar end links & CV's) are not heavy duty per say & steering shaft. Most of these are more prone w/ bigger tires. The engine should be fine unless abused and not having regular oil maintenance changes.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies guys... well lets just say he is no where near a computer savy guy so thats why I was on here asking some questions...

·
Banned
201 Posts
Have your buddy go over to The Diesel Place & Duramax Forum and sign up. He can ask all the questions about the different years pros & cons and decide.

Like any other used diesel. It would be good to ask questions to the owner of the truck about regular maintenance & how he/she used the truck, especially if heavily modded.

Problematics of GM Diesel trucks are, wheel bearings, front end components (stock tie rods, sway bar end links & CV's) are not heavy duty per say & steering shaft. Most of these are more prone w/ bigger tires. The engine should be fine unless abused and not having regular oil maintenance changes.

All excellent points! haha, I was getting there. But those are typical issues over time w/ any truck. W/ regular maintenance on any vehicle they'll perform better. It's amazing the amount of people that don't realize such things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
most of them have injector problems.... everyone I know, even the one I had, got at least one set. there not as good on fuel as the dodge...

·
Banned
201 Posts
most of them have injector problems.... everyone I know, even the one I had, got at least one set. there not as good on fuel as the dodge...
True w/ the injectors but not necessarily on fuel mileage. Telling you w/ a EFI live tune those trucks will get awfully nice fuel economy, tow/haul or just daily driving.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True w/ the injectors but not necessarily on fuel mileage. Telling you w/ a EFI live tune those trucks will get awfully nice fuel economy, tow/haul or just daily driving.
yea thats what I have told him ..... and he just informed me that the truck he is going to look at already has a EFI alive and a fully built tranny along with a 4.5" suspension lift and 35s on 20s its a 06..... my guess is the truck has been run hard.... but then again I dunno ... he told me he is going to look at it tomorrow evening

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
go ahead and tell em to get a '06 or '07 LBZ. They seem to be the most well rounded Dmax. Extremely responsive and they run awfully well.
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: buddy of mine had a 06' and it had so much more power than the prior Dmaxes....but his milage on the stock truck SUCKED!!....no intersate or around town...never got above 15mpg...his 00' cummins and mine get roughly 17-19 around town...

but god i loved that thing for road trips...rode like a caddy...:lol4:

·
Banned
201 Posts
Where's the truck from? and I'd imagine w/ a lift it's been put up hard and road wet from the sound of what you just told me. What's his asking price and how many miles?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its here in indiana somewhere it was just a quick message he sent me and said he had to get back to work.... I dunno the price or miles or anything.. but my guess is it will have been reemed as well...as soon as I know more ill let you guys know

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Brake caliper bolts loosen up on the front (don't ask). Allison trans in stock form is good but when you ad power it doesn't like you much anymore.

Aside from that they are the quitest most comfortable truck i have ever driven. 400 Mile round trip netted me 21 or so mpg...that was with an Edge Juice thingie and his was an 04.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My old bosses '06 Dmax lost a left front wheel, hub and all going down the highway the other day. Tell him to watch out for that.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
maybe post on a Dmax forum for better results

·
Banned
201 Posts
its here in indiana somewhere it was just a quick message he sent me and said he had to get back to work.... I dunno the price or miles or anything.. but my guess is it will have been reemed as well...as soon as I know more ill let you guys know
Keep me up to date, do what I can for ya

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Injector issues were on the 01-04 LB7 Duramax. The 05's had some over heating issues w/ the radiators.. Best years are '06-'07 OBS..

·
Banned
201 Posts
Certainly the '06 & '07 models were the best bang for your buck (I hate to say bang because we are talking about a machine).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts