Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, got bored the other day so I began making my own Oil Bypass. I had some leftover steel plates, 6-AN black line from some tranny lines and a couple 6-an fittings. I went to Napa and picked up a oil filter housing and a Amsoil BP-90 filter.

Filter:

Had to make a bracket to bolt it down, so I pulled out the plasma cutter and made some quick measurements...

If I would of thought about it I would of made it out of one piece. But, a quick weld or two and presto!

And of course... This paint takes forever to dry so I called it quits for the day and figured I'd finish it the next time I got bored.... Well that time came fairly fast so I finished bolting up the bracket and the housing.

And drilled and tapped the outlet for the filter housing to install a plug for a restrictor.

IF YOU LOOK CLOSE, YOU'LL SEE A SMALL BURR IN THE PLUG. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THESE!

The hole is drilled out to 1/16'' (.0625) This was the most common orifice size I could find online. If someone else on here knows what size the Amsoil orifice is, please let me know! :thumbsup: It works great however... But I'd rather truly know... It's only removing the filter and swapping the plugs.

EDIT: update, I installed a new restrictor with a smaller orifice just to be on the safe side of things. This one measures out to .042. Still a smooth return flow at the filler cap.

On to the next... Finally got it mounted where the APPs usually goes and it fits great. Plenty of room to get the filter on and off without tipping it.

Next, I had to drill and tap the oil fill cap for a return line...

Drilled and tapped to 1/8" NPT for the 6-AN 90 degree fitting. Make sure you mark where you would like the inlet to be. That way you can adjust your depth to compensate for the inlet location.

I had two 6-AN 45 degree hose ends that I hadn't used so I only had to purchase the straight 6-AN ends, one 90 degree fitting, one 45 degree fitting and two 1/2" NPT- 6-AN adapters. Make your lines!

And last but not least... hook it up and check for leaks as well as a smooth steady return flow. :thumbsup:

Definitely not the ONLY way or BEST way to do this but thought it would give some of y'all an idea or two. I have about 120 in the kit total. I would give you the part number for the filter housing but when the guy at Napa fit the filter on the housing it didn't tighten down all the way... My mistake for not double checking but I just bought a different oil filter adapter to mount it to the base. No biggie :thumbsup:

Make sure you deburr everything. These loose particles have a one way flight into your oiling system. No bueno...

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
One thing you didn't show is where you are getting your oil from to supply the bypass to complete your write up. Other than that looks great and that price is nice and low. If I ever decide to instal one I will use this.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mother of god... :rof I'll grab a pic in a sec.. I forgot that and already installed the intake

As an ye shall recieve

Edit: Threads are 1/8 NPT

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
Good job! Are you planning to extend your oil change intervals?

Reactions: CHUGGINSMOKE05

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still on the fence about it. I don't drive the truck that much and I mainly added it for the better filtration. I wouldn't go 20,000 like they claim only because I don't do that much highway driving. Probably try 10-12,000 ish. I'll have to see what the oil looks like :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
I'm still on the fence about it. I don't drive the truck that much and I mainly added it for the better filtration. I wouldn't go 20,000 like they claim only because I don't do that much highway driving. Probably try 10-12,000 ish. I'll have to see what the oil looks like :thumbsup:
I change my oil once per year, which is somewhere between 10,000 - 13,000 miles. I take a UOA at the time of changing the oil just to make sure that everything looks good. The UOA allows me to monitor fuel in my oil incase there’s a bad injector. I also like to make sure there is no coolant in the oil and just to see how my oil is holding up. 95% of my driving is on the highway with 40% empty and 60% towing.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only put about 2,500 miles on this thing a year. Its mainly just pleasure and towing to the drag strip. I'll probably stick with the one year rule unless I drive it that much.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Nice write up with pics . Another great option .

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree awesome write up boss! I'll be doing this one i like the DIY stuff. Makes me feel smart...er! Haha plus you did all the hard work its just following simple directions now

·
Registered
834 Posts
I change my oil once per year, which is somewhere between 10,000 - 13,000 miles. I take a UOA at the time of changing the oil just to make sure that everything looks good. The UOA allows me to monitor fuel in my oil incase there’s a bad injector. I also like to make sure there is no coolant in the oil and just to see how my oil is holding up. 95% of my driving is on the highway with 40% empty and 60% towing.

every year?!?! that would be awesome! i change mine every 10K miles or so which for me is like 9 weeks or so.... :banghead:

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
every year?!?! that would be awesome! i change mine every 10K miles or so which for me is like 9 weeks or so.... :banghead:
If you added a by-pass filter with good synthetic oil, you could probably go 20,000 miles on one oil change. Pull your first UOA at 15,000 to see how the oil looks and proceed with the recommendations. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: This thing is working great!!! Oil pressure is the same as it was before the install. No issues so I think I'll just leave the orifice the way it is. I'll take dieselenthusiast's advice and wait a couple thousand and send my oil off for testing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
did you have that part number for the filter housing and the plug what it just standard thread?
write up is great, going to get the parts together.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do have them. I'll get the part number tomorrow. I had a guy at Napa just order an adapter. Works great!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The base is Napa-4309. Like said, you can either purchase an adapter that goes from 1"x12 to 1"x16 OR purchase a 1"x16 oil base and tap the housing. I couldn't find the part number for the adapter but it was less than 10 bucks.

·
Registered
833 Posts
wasnt sure if I saw this in your write up(awesome by the way) what size are the threads on the oil test port above the oil filter location? 1/8 NPT?Or where you got your oil source from to supply the filters?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are indeed 1/8NPT. That's exactly where I got the supply from. Figured it would be easiest. :thumbsup:

I think when I go to twins I'm going to swap to a smaller orifice. Anyone else has any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
What is the point to having a smaller orifice? I understand that it limits flow but why limit it?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's tapping into the oil supply for the entire motor. If you run to big an orifice you'll loose pressure throughout the rest of the motor. No real consequence for running too small that I can think of except it will take longer to filter through the 3 gallons these things hold.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts