Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any diy mods i can do to my 06 megacab until i can get all of my other goodies, exhaust intake and a programmer. lokking for other stuff in can do until then. also is there any way to make the turbo louder. and is it better to go with a straight pipe or turbo back exhaust system? don't mind the noise of the straight pipe, just want the best performance

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no help? i know some of you guys tinkered with these things just for fun, main question is how to get the turbo to be louder (pulled the intake pipe off today and didn't see anything that would really make any difference) and the difference in performance of straight pipe vs. turbo back with a muffler system

·
Registered
319 Posts
A great cheap mod is go to fullspectrum on Ebay and pick yourself up a 5inch tbe straight pipe system from them delivered to your door $320. Its a nice kit

·
Registered
277 Posts
The intake mod is commenly called the willy's whistler intake mod, that should give you the sound you want. You should be able to get a muffler shop and get the exhaust done for pretty cheap, be warned, straight pipes are loud! There is also a DIY CP3 mod to help with rail pressure. Hope this helps ya a bit!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Lets see, you can remove the silencer ring, gut the intake tube, and install a BHAF. Those 3 will make the turbo louder.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, had the truck in the air yesterday and it seems really easy to do the exhaust on this truck. seems like there is a clamp every couple of feet. looks like the only problem is the "baffle" over the axle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That "baffle" is a resonator, do yourself a favor and keep it where it is. The resonator really cuts down on the dreaded droan. I have seen the inside of the resonator and it is free from restriction.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i should be able to just undo the clamps that are there and get me a long piece of pipe, cut it to fit and install it right? will this be better than a muffler system? don't really mind having the noise there, just want the best performance for the truck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there a thread on this anywhere? tried to search but came up with nothing

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did the torque tube gut today and turbo spools up a little faster and is a little louder than stock, gonna get some 4" pipe maybe next week and do a straight pipe,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anybody know where i can get straight pipe for my truck around league city tx.?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
to have it welded in or just putting the clamps back in?

·
Registered
99 Posts
they used a sawsall and cut it out. I took the muffler back home just in case. they welded in a section. I figure if I get tired of it I will get a aero muffler or something and use band clamps to install it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i looked under mine today to measure it and i have clamps every couple of feet, thinking about just unclamping what's there and installing a straight pipe for the cat and muffler and reclamping it, just need to find some 4" by 8' pipe to put in there

·
Registered
99 Posts
i looked under mine today to measure it and i have clamps every couple of feet, thinking about just unclamping what's there and installing a straight pipe for the cat and muffler and reclamping it, just need to find some 4" by 8' pipe to put in there
it won't be quite that simple. first, when they clamp it it creases the pipe so it won't simply slip off. secondly, if you cut the pipe you'll have to rent a pipe flaring tool from autozone to stretch the pipe to make a slip join. you should be able to go to any exhaust place and buy a section of pipe. Personally I would just hack it off and use band clamps. they work very well and will be super easy to do the pipe install yourself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
alvin muffler center. 281 331 5921. keep in mind my truck uses 3.5 inch pipe and he only did a muffler delete since my truck has no cat. so if your wanting a cat and muff delete it might cost more IF he is even willing to remove the cat for you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts