Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at all the EGR delete kits out there and figured it would be cheaper/more rewarding/more logical for me to do it myself. I printed up the tech articles found on this site to use as a guide.:thumbsup: Came in very handy. The only problem that arose was getting the nut off between the engine and the front EGR hot passage in front of the cooler. I ended up having to remove the cooler first, so that I could fit a wrench in from behind.

Anyways, I'm not knocking the kits you find online because they are all very professional looking. But since I plan on getting an intake horn soon, I figured it would be easy to make the plates myself. Afterall, the most expensive/complicated part of the kits is the machined blocker plate for the intake horn side. I just made two small plates. I purchased all the gaskets for $24 at Dodge dealership and the hose/clamps needed for $4 at CarQuest. Metal was free laying around the shop. I only ended up using one gasket though, the rear cooler one. The others were intact and looked good, so I can now return three gaskets and get back most of my money. So all in all, I did a complete EGR and EGR cooler delete today for under 10 bucks.

· Registered
475 Posts
I've been looking at all the EGR delete kits out there and figured it would be cheaper/more rewarding/more logical for me to do it myself. I printed up the tech articles found on this site to use as a guide.:thumbsup: Came in very handy. The only problem that arose was getting the nut off between the engine and the front EGR hot passage in front of the cooler. I ended up having to remove the cooler first, so that I could fit a wrench in from behind.

Anyways, I'm not knocking the kits you find online because they are all very professional looking. But since I plan on getting an intake horn soon, I figured it would be easy to make the plates myself. Afterall, the most expensive/complicated part of the kits is the machined blocker plate for the intake horn side. I just made two small plates. I purchased all the gaskets for $24 at Dodge dealership and the hose/clamps needed for $4 at CarQuest. Metal was free laying around the shop. I only ended up using one gasket though, the rear cooler one. The others were intact and looked good, so I can now return three gaskets and get back most of my money. So all in all, I did a complete EGR and EGR cooler delete today for under 10 bucks.
for ur block off plates use at least 1/4" plate

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya that's definitely over kill but id rather have more than not enough
Yeah, I'd actually be comfortable with as little as 1/8th or 3/16ths. I used to think things needed to be heavy for heat and pressure applications, but I work at a chemical plant and they have 3/8" walled piping 12" in diameter containing 1500psi steam at 800 degrees that has been in service for over 30 years.

· Registered
475 Posts
Yeah, I'd actually be comfortable with as little as 1/8th or 3/16ths. I used to think things needed to be heavy for heat and pressure applications, but I work at a chemical plant and they have 3/8" walled piping 12" in diameter containing 1500psi steam at 800 degrees that has been in service for over 30 years.
ya I don't know man.. I think it might hold :lol4:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.