Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! New User, and new 1st gen owner.

Got in a collision last month (please use your turn signals people), and am tackling the repairs myself. All the mechanicals are straight forward enough: new Mishimoto Rad, having my intercooler renewed; some hard to find parts have even been tackled: core support, custom brake line.

However, I am having a little buyers remorse with the bulk of my parts purchases, which came from Rock Auto. Their packing standards seem to be quite shitty, as I've had at least one part need to be sent straight back (a/c condenser was damaged). Now I have received (2) Left fenders when I ordered a Left AND a Right. And the bumper I received, while correct on the order, I'm sure is not what I ordered. Also, maybe I should've known by the price, but the sheet metal used on the fenders is much thinner than OEM.

I'm left wondering what do? Part of me wants them to take back the body parts, since they are so thin, and they are having trouble getting things right. Had a hard enough time finding the stuff for any price, but If I can get them to take these parts back, where else am I to find them and without draining my already hurting bank account (thanks to my whole industry shutting down during the Covid-19 pandemic)? Maybe they could be reworked by a body shop, but surely that won't be cheap either.

Opinions welcome, but experienced wisdom needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
My guess is they are having issues because of the COVID-19...seems all the suppliers (Amazon, Walmart, etc.) are having issues right now, I doubt Rockauto is any different...

From what I understand, for genders, finding good used is the best bet, the aftermarket are thin and don't match well at the windshield.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I order a LOT of stuff through RA and the damage is not usually caused by poor packaging, it's due to the freight carriers just throwing stuff around Most times there are so many of those bubble bags that the box is all tore up but the parts are not damaged. As far as the wrong parts, that's going to happen occasional with any supplier. Their return police is pretty easy and straight forward. Good luck with your project

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have bought stuff from LMC truck parts and had good luck but it has been a long time since I did.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,054 Posts
x2 on LMC. it's pricier stuff because it's generally better quality stuff. There are some bling items in there that are more expensive then elsewhere, but they have a lot more quality parts, especially for what you are looking for

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I think you would be better off buying a gas 2wd first gen for parts. Around here you can find rust free examples for less than 500. All body parts are the same other than the core support. You may be able to use the gas core support with some fabrication.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Keep in mind that Rock Auto doesn't have any house-brand parts. They sell parts from all sorts of aftermarket manufacturers, most of the time cheaper than anyone else. And I've heard nothing spectacular about replacement body parts from any aftermarket manufacturer. What you've run into, the sheet metal being thinner, is a common gripe.

If I ever get in an accident with my truck - once it's finished and on the road of course - I'd be looking for an older gasser in good shape to purchase and cannibalize for the body parts I need. You're going to have to pull some dings, sand it down and repaint, but you're going to have to do that no matter what and at least then you get OEM quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you for your information and input. Through sheer will of force I managed to get my original core support insufficient order for bolting in, as well as all the other original body parts. My plan now for the future is to seek a donor vehicle for parts to make things look shiny and new again, but for now the old girl runs great and I’m happy as it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts