Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got rid of the not so reliable low fuel pressure warning light system that was giving me some false alarms or so I thought. Anyway I installed a Stewart Warner mechanical F/P guage this evening piped in off the schrader on the injection pump. Now this is what sucks, I am only getting 6psi at idle and it drops right to 0 at WOT. I just installed a new lift pump and put in a new fuel filter about 2 or 3 weeks ago. So What are you guys getting for psi off the stock lift pump in the stock location? I'm thinking maybe this Lift pump is a dud.:CRY:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also forgot to mention I just picked up a Hypertech programmer and have it set on stage 2. Could that affect my fuel pressure reading?

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
I had the exact same experience. I replaced a frame mounted Carter lift pump when mine started dropping below 7 PSI. Got a new one and it was 6 PSI right out of the box. I installed a FASS HPFP95 and a 3/8" line and haven't seen less than 16 PSI since.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
So I got rid of the not so reliable low fuel pressure warning light system that was giving me some false alarms or so I thought. Anyway I installed a Stewart Warner mechanical F/P guage this evening piped in off the schrader on the injection pump. Now this is what sucks, I am only getting 6psi at idle and it drops right to 0 at WOT. I just installed a new lift pump and put in a new fuel filter about 2 or 3 weeks ago. So What are you guys getting for psi off the stock lift pump in the stock location? I'm thinking maybe this Lift pump is a dud.:CRY:
MINIMUM PRESSURE is 10 PSI @ WOT!

You need a fuel pump badly before you ruin you VP44...:thud::$:

In stock location with stock pluming I was getting 13-14 PSI... 10-11 @ WOT with a fresh pump!

Here is my current pump and its worth every penny! (Pic Clickable)

All these LOW PRESSURE lights are setup totally wrong... The light should be on at 10-11 PSI period not at 5 PSI... The stock carter pump cannot pass the volume test at below 9 PSI at all...

Here is the TSB fuel pump diagnostic from Dodge...
Lift Pump Diagnostics

1 - 4 of 4 Posts