Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well these SOB's. I about had it with these people that manage a tire shop and act like they run SHELL Oil.

Let me back up to the beginning. Months ago I was getting my tires balanced and rotated. They sheared off three of the lugs nuts on one tire. They had a mechanic drill out those stubs to get the rim off of the truck and it ruin the rim in the process. Well Discount ordered a new rim for my truck and paid for all of the repairs. Great I was happy. Mind you it took about two weeks to complete that mess.

Yesterday i got my new tires in. So i went to discount to have them install the Tires. The first disappointment. $43 per tire to dismount and mount. Holy Crap. 170 for all 4 wheels. I got mad and told him that was alot. He said its hard work, I told him you have high school kids with machines to do the work. He said they where 8k dollars for a machine, I got even more mad but stayed quit. OK, so he won that round, but i was pissed that i didnt say anything more as i played a game on my Cell waiting.

So my buddy picked me up as Discount Workers work very freaking slow. I came back later to pick up my truck and as i drove around i notice one side rubs more than the other as i turn left or right. I got home and started to look how far my wheels stick out. theres about a inch difference from the two. Holey Crap i was up set. I was ready to start tto kick some tires. AND THEN i notice the hard work that Discount tires perform. They did not remove the tape from the double stick that they use on the weights for the balancing.

Now. since i have the 2" leveling kit on my truck and the stock track bar. is it possibly that my axle is off centered that much. And in fact that i do have the correct rims on my truck. Am I getting all pissy over nothing. Because i am looking forward to chew on there arse a little bit.

·
Registered
251 Posts
wow...i would be ripping people's faces off...I'm sorry that happened to you

·
Registered
265 Posts
I Say Rip Them A New One:butt:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
$170.00 to mount and balance 4... Call the Police cause you got RIPPED OFF!!! I've never liked Discount Tire and only done busness with them a few times. After hearing this I'll never do busness with them again.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i found out that NBT does it for 100.

Discount charges extra because of the 20" rims. its the same amount of work as a 18 or 16" rim.

i should go to them again and fill the wheels full of water. make them sweet a little

·
Registered
343 Posts
the only way my tire guy charge more is if they are low pro tires cause they are a pain to put on and take off also you may want to make sure you got the right rims cause a inch is a heck of alot of defference

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I have had lugs broken by Discount Tire as well. I have also had Big O Tire mount 205 profile tires on one side of my car and 225 on the other side. Almost fell on the floor when I got home and discovered that one. Anymore I just take the wheels off and take them into the shop. Sad but I have found it is more work but less stress on me that way.

Frustrating when tires are about the one thing you pretty much HAVE to trust a shop to do for you.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Must be a localized thing. My local Americas Tire ( discount tire in the west) store is a good place to do business. They have bent over back words to please me.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
I thought $80 for all 4 was way to much. I by my tires and rims from les schwab and then then do everything else for free

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
I thought $80 for all 4 was way to much. I by my tires and rims from les schwab and then then do everything else for free

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hell, my mechanic only charges $7.50/tire for mount/balance, and only charged $5 to do the spare

:D

He doesn't mark up tires that much either. I'd rather go there and have him do it.

·
DIESEL FREAK
152 Posts
wicth discount ?]

·
Registered
634 Posts
For some reason I believe this story. I worked for discount tire co. for five years out of high school and they were a great company to work for. The problem with them is that they got too big too fast and the quality of work suffers because of it. When i worked there it was fun and we had a great time and humped it gettin cars in and out all day long. Now you cant even get a rotation done in less than two hours. So needless to say, They dont get my hard earned dollars anymore.:butt:

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I checked schwabs for the toyos and the wanted about 340 a tire for 295s. That seemed way steep to me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Any of you guys ever tried Tirerack.com? They have name brand tires & wheels, they do mounting and balancing and everything is guaranteed. They will even install TPMS sensors if you need them. I've found that even with shipping their prices are very good for name brand stuff.

If all you want is tires then I suppose you still have to deal with the local guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Matt,
Did you go to the Discount at Spring Cypress? Let me know, and ill see if I can get in touch with my old manager or AVP and see if they cant do anything for you because thats horse $hit! You may have to drive a little bit farther to get it fixed, but it would be worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Matt, I know what you are going through. Mabey we went to the same discount tire in Cypress...

I was there for some new tires and the "kids" there realy do not know what they are doing. They tried to remove the lugs and they were pretty rusty so instead of cleaning or hiting it with some lube, they try to take it out.. Got 7 out and the last one got stuck on the end where all the rust was....

The funniest part is when they try to blame me and say that I cross threaded it...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just put a 2" HBS leveling kit on mine finally, pain in the :butt: with just one person:help, but measured before and after only about a 1/4" difference between stock and after. Might check to make sure everything is still tight!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts