Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,256 Posts
Ok get up and run to the frig and grab your favorite drink. This is some long reading.

The good news to some extent about your question. There is one company that does make a close to bolt on kit for our trucks. It only works on SRW models. Egr Perfomance Inc - Performance brakes and G2 Caliper Paint Kits

Now for the long answer.

This swap was the rage on another website a few years back. Some of the issues that everyone had after the swap.

1st = No correct hookup for the emg brake. This kit used GM mid sized calipers. These calipers used the emg brake fuction to maintain proper pad clearence to the disk. Each person had to figure out a way to cobble something together for emg use. As far as I know they still DO NOT have what would be called a complete kit.

2nd= Everyone complained about low brake pedal and lack of brake effort. This was noticed more if they towed. This kit used the stock master cylinder. Our setup is for drum rear brakes. This master cylinder is made to handle the flow required for 2ea wheel cylinders in the 1" to 1 3/16" range of size. The calipers that were supplied with the kits are 3" bore. These are bigger than the MC can work properly. Our MC's also have built in restrictors for drum brakes. These are 2 PSI usually for drums. Disks normaly use a 10 PSI restrictor. The smaller restrictors let the caliper pads back off more than a 10 PSI restrictor would. So this means the pads have to move farther on each stroke because of the backoff problem. Now you can add a 10 PSI restrictor to the system. Wildwood makes them. It still doesn't cure the to small of MC problem.

3rd= Our brake proportationing valve is for disk/drum setup. A disk/disk is different. The correct one was not supplied with the kit.

Now lets talk about some possible cures for this kit.

1st = to small MC.

If you want to stay with the vac booster setup. The closest disk/disk MC I could find that would work came off of a late 80's GM van with a disk/disk setup factory. It has the two bolt flange like ours. It did need the flange holes opened to fit over the studs on the MC. It had a larger bore of 1.250 and it was made for the same size calipers that kit uses. It also has the correct restrictors built in.

The other way would be to swap in a hyroboost setup from a later Dodge truck. You can get the correct MC for disk/disk setup.

For the porportationing valve use one off a later Dodge with disk/disk combo.

BTW I had a friend that bought one of those kits for a 92 W250. Two years later he pulled it off and went back to drums. He did tow and heavy most of the time.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
PM me if you are still interested I have a kit that I would sell. Has maybe 1k miles on it.

·
Cope Wisconsin Chapter VP
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok get up and run to the frig and grab your favorite drink. This is some long reading.

The good news to some extent about your question. There is one company that does make a close to bolt on kit for our trucks. It only works on SRW models. Egr Perfomance Inc - Performance brakes and G2 Caliper Paint Kits

Now for the long answer.

This swap was the rage on another website a few years back. Some of the issues that everyone had after the swap.

1st = No correct hookup for the emg brake. This kit used GM mid sized calipers. These calipers used the emg brake fuction to maintain proper pad clearence to the disk. Each person had to figure out a way to cobble something together for emg use. As far as I know they still DO NOT have what would be called a complete kit.

2nd= Everyone complained about low brake pedal and lack of brake effort. This was noticed more if they towed. This kit used the stock master cylinder. Our setup is for drum rear brakes. This master cylinder is made to handle the flow required for 2ea wheel cylinders in the 1" to 1 3/16" range of size. The calipers that were supplied with the kits are 3" bore. These are bigger than the MC can work properly. Our MC's also have built in restrictors for drum brakes. These are 2 PSI usually for drums. Disks normaly use a 10 PSI restrictor. The smaller restrictors let the caliper pads back off more than a 10 PSI restrictor would. So this means the pads have to move farther on each stroke because of the backoff problem. Now you can add a 10 PSI restrictor to the system. Wildwood makes them. It still doesn't cure the to small of MC problem.

3rd= Our brake proportationing valve is for disk/drum setup. A disk/disk is different. The correct one was not supplied with the kit.

Now lets talk about some possible cures for this kit.

1st = to small MC.

If you want to stay with the vac booster setup. The closest disk/disk MC I could find that would work came off of a late 80's GM van with a disk/disk setup factory. It has the two bolt flange like ours. It did need the flange holes opened to fit over the studs on the MC. It had a larger bore of 1.250 and it was made for the same size calipers that kit uses. It also has the correct restrictors built in.

The other way would be to swap in a hyroboost setup from a later Dodge truck. You can get the correct MC for disk/disk setup.

For the porportationing valve use one off a later Dodge with disk/disk combo.

BTW I had a friend that bought one of those kits for a 92 W250. Two years later he pulled it off and went back to drums. He did tow and heavy most of the time.
I was wondering about the P valve....i guess i might just stick with drums....too bad i wanted to save a few bucks where i could. thanks phil.

·
Registered
892 Posts
id second great lake or suggest pirate4x4 for the brackets. egr's kit costs too much and it sucks.

the rotors are late 80s ford f250 4x4 rotors and the calipers are late 70s eldorado rear calipers. parking brake options suck like philip said. I didnt have any problems with low pedal on my 91, however it took alot of bleeding to get all the air out.

not sure if i want to mess with putting them on my 92, i might just try putting the 1-ton slave cylinders on first.

**Sorry didnt see your post i was on the phone rather than pushing the post button...

·
Cope Wisconsin Chapter VP
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
moved??

i don't know if my other post got deleted when tis got moved but is there a possibility puttin in a different MC???

Or is it just pointless at that point.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
It is still in the 89-93 powertrain forum.

Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts