Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am having a slight problem with my truck. I have a 2010 ram 2500 6.7/auto. I bought the truck used and it had been fuly deleted. It has an H&S egr delete kit, head studs, 5" tbe, airaid intake, and is lifted with 35's. I usually run the truck on either the mild or wild setting with occasional use of the hot setting on the tuner. I tow a 6000 lb travel trailer a few times a year which is primarily when I use the exhaust brake as well. The last 2 times I towed my TT (this weekend the most recent) near the end of the trip to my destination the coolant temp spiked from 190's normal to 220-240. Both times were after coming down the interstate off ramp on EB and coming to a stop at a red light. After letting the truck cool I noticed the overflow reservoir was full and the radiator was dry with a huge hiss of air pressure when removing the cap. After adding a gallon of coolant to the radiator topping it off while removing the screw in the coolant line to bleed the air out the truck runs just like normal, temps are 180-190's. I have also changed my thermostat. I've checked the dipstick too and oil appears to look normal. I'm not sure what to do next I am hoping its not the head gasket or anything major but just don't know. :confused013:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket failure. Had almost the same symptoms with mine.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Yup sounds like a head gasket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can I verify? Oil on dipstick looks normal but I'm planning on changing it later this week. Could the exhaust brake be creating too much driveline pressure because I'm deleted? I'm still a newb and learning about diesels.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
NAPA sell's a test kit for about 40-50 bucks that will sniff the vapors out of you radiator and the fluid changes color when it detects combustion fumes.
That would tell you if it is the head gasket.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Squeeze the upper radiator hosed when it's up to temp. If you can almost collapse it the. It's not the HG. If it's hard to squeeze (like trying to squeeze one of those store bought smoked sausages) then I've got bad news for you. The blown HG is allowing boost to seep into the cooling system. When you shut the truck off you should hear a gurgling sound from the heater core area under the dash. Yet another bad sign. Ask me how I know these things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts