Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would a dirty fuel filter slug my truck at all? it just seems little sluggish lately

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not by any means a know all, but slow fuel flow makes for a slow truck. Mine had no balls until I put in the AirDog 150 and totally bypassed the stock filter, which kept clogging, and she runs soo much better, although I think my fuel milage dropped... Maybe I'm just getting used to all the power.....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
would a dirty fuel filter slug my truck at all? it just seems little sluggish lately
yes it would... and you might have also noticed a drop in MPG.... I try and change mine every other oil change until I get me a AD or FASS

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yes.... do search for fuel filters, there are some ones that are recommended for the stock set up... I usually change mine at about 10k but I also pump my fuel from my own tanks, and they are heavily filtered prior to meeting my truck... By the time it meets my truck it has gone through a water separator and 2 filters down to 4 micronm, and I have been running the D2 AFe until I found out it doesn't filter water... will be switching over to the baldwin

·
Banned
400 Posts
The only way to know if your fuel filter needs changed, or if the LP is bad for that matter, is with a fuel pressure gauge.

If you are routinely changing fuel filters more than once a year you are throwing good filters away. They filter better the older they get up to the point where flow/pressure drops.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and know the real answer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ill take my chances throwing good filters away. I change mine every 10k miles when I do the oil. The 7 micron fleet guard is rated for single pass so its spec is referenced from a new filter not a used one. The Baldwin on the other hand is 5 micron at multi- pass. They have not speced it at single pass. And yes the more plugged or restricted the better it filters up to the point of no flow.

·
Banned
400 Posts
I don't take chances. Or waste money.

I have fuel pressure gauges. You probably could have bought a really nice one by now with all the money saved in wasted fuel filters.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only way to know if your fuel filter needs changed, or if the LP is bad for that matter, is with a fuel pressure gauge.

If you are routinely changing fuel filters more than once a year you are throwing good filters away. They filter better the older they get up to the point where flow/pressure drops.

how hard is it to install a fuel pressure gauge? does isspro make one that will match my other 3? worth the trouble?

·
Registered
267 Posts
The filters only cost $12 each. $120 worth of filters every 100k miles is cheap insurance for a very expensive injection pump.I like the idea of looking at my filter every 10k miles and making sure it has not ruptured or shifted. Its also a good time to drain the filter housing completely and get any crude and water out while your changing the filter.

At 20 mpg thats 500 gallons of fuel for every 10k miles per filter. or 5k gallons of fuel for 100k miles per 10 filters. Do you really want to try to filter that much fuel on less than 10 filters ? Wonder how much dirt and crud is in 5k gallons of fuel ?

·
4,669 Posts

NOPE, i tow alot and put around 60000-70000 miles a year on a truck. I get fuel all over the united states and im sure alot of others drive alot and fuel up at many new places. With this kind of fueling habit , it is a very good idea to change a damn fuel filter more than once a year. Oh and on a personal note,,, you come off to me as being kindofa dik, not just on this thread but on another one i read a bit back. Maybe its just the way i read or something. :confused013: I could and hope in wrong but thats how im reading some of your posts. Anyway what do you care if some guy wants to change his fuel filters more than you do,, its his or her money. I would much rather spend extra money on a filter that may or may not be good. :thumbsup: OK im done. :lol4:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Its cheap insurance, and regular maint... with that mentality I should use my oil pressue gauge to judge when I need to change my oil filter.....

I pop mine off at every 5k and inspect it to check how dirty it is and if there is visible debris. I change it every 10k no matter what it looks like.. I also change the oil filters every 5k wether the oil looks good or not, and I don't use the 5 dollar STP, I like the AFE D2... 20 bucks a pop... and at 30k a year, I can live with spending the $250 a year... hell if I can afford a 50k truck I can afford to maintain it too...

·
Banned
400 Posts
...Oh and on a personal note,,, you come off to me as being kindofa dik,
I'd rathjer be kindofa dik than stupid enough to drive all over the country filling up at gawd knows where without running a fuel pressure gauge! :bonk:

But hey, if you want to wait for your brand new filter to stop up with no warning and leave you stranded right after puming in a tank full of bad fuel 50 miles from nowhere, be my guest. :party018:

·
Banned
400 Posts
I pop mine off at every 5k and inspect it to check how dirty it is and if there is visible debris. ..
You do realize there is a clean side and a dirty side to that filter, right? And micronic-sized particles are invisible to the naked eye?

You DO know that, right? :hehe:

That's what I hate about the cannister filter as opposed to the spin-on types. There is always the danger of contaminating the clean side of the filter during changes.

Heck, why not take it apart every 5k, and make SURE to do that at some point? :banghead:

If you really care about your fuel filtering, install a spin-on Cat 2um filter right before the CP3, and keep it really clean. All the rest of this hooey is just huge load of B$. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you really care about your warranty you will use the approved filter and change at the recommended service interval or more often. I would like to see you try to get your cp3 replaced under warranty with anything other than the stock filter system in place. With the economy in the crapper the dealers are jumping on anything they can to deny a claim.
:SMART:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Open your owners manual would be a good place to start.
Per schedule A and B
♦ 15k miles
Replace fuel filter element,clean the water in fuel sensor.

Too each his own I buy my fuel filter /oil filter/air filter every 10k miles from Geno's. They all come in the same box and all get done at the same time.
$52.10 shipped to my door plus $30 worth of oil. $82.10 every 10k miles is cheap peace of mind in my book.

·
4,669 Posts
I'd rathjer be kindofa dik than stupid enough to drive all over the country filling up at gawd knows where without running a fuel pressure gauge! :bonk:

But hey, if you want to wait for your brand new filter to stop up with no warning and leave you stranded right after puming in a tank full of bad fuel 50 miles from nowhere, be my guest. :party018:
I do have guages and i also keep spare filters with me, just in case i do get bad fuel. This makes my point too. You say that we should only change our filter once a year, then you turn around and tell us that a brand new filter is gonna leave us stranded 50 miles down the road, YOU SEE kindofa DIC :lol4:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts