Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for you guys, I rebuilt my motor not to long ago and when I did my oil dipstick tube broke off in the block. It broke off deep enough that i can still pop it down in there, and with a small coating of high temp silicone it hasn't leaked yet.
However, this coming week I'm going on a bit of a long haul, (about 8 hours total) to pick up a couple of outdoor furnaces. This will be the longest run by far that I've made with the truck since the rebuild, and im just wondering if you guys would trust that silicone to make that trip? would the continuous driving build to much heat?
I do have the replacement part, but want to wait till the furnace is here so we have heat in the shop before i tear into it haha not fun working on your pile when its 25 degrees.
How would you guys go about fixing this? I was thinking of waiting for my next oil change and then just dropping the pan and pushing it out from the bottom, but looking at it im not sure if id be able to remove the pan as easy as I had hoped. What would you guys recommend for this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Would think it would be fine. Silicone can handle 350*F or so. Would think if you are near that you have other problems lol.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Agreed that it should be fine.

How to remove the piece, I would use a pick or maybe 2

Reactions: thirstgen

·
Registered
810 Posts
On our John Deere 855d gator . The oil filter is a real pain to get to. Engine is in the frame side ways so that puts the oil filter right next to the transmission. Barely enough room to get one hand up in there to get at the filter . Unfortunately the stupid dipstick tube is also in the way. You have to reach in around it . Well over the years the tubes packing got weak and let lose . It actually pulled up out of the block with the dip stick lol. I didn’t know what in the world to do, it was in the dead of winter , we use the gator every day on the farm and it’s constantly going in mud and dusty conditions. So I just cleaned the area around the dipstick and put rtv Oil pan sealant on the dip stick and pushed it back in. That’s been a few years ago and haven’t had one problem.

Now to remove the oil pan, I’ve been told that you have to take the bolts out of the transmission mount and pull the engine up enough so the pan can clear the crossmember. Or you can remove the transmission and the Bell housing adapter and pull it out from the back . Never removed one my self but it doesn’t sound fun lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts