Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background, my truck has never dripped oil out of the breather tube, this morning I had to fight 14 inches of snow in 4wheel drive to get to work, 4.1 miles. Never got over 15 mph, the engine never warmed up as well. When I got to work I parked it inside on concrete and noticed that it had oil under it where it had dripped out of the blowby tube. When checking the oil, on the side of the dipstick that faces up it showes about 2 inches above the full line, but when you turn it over to the side that faces down, it shows in the safe level. I've pulled the stick and wiped it down, when I insert it back in for 5-10 seconds and pull it out I get the same results, the side of the dipstick that faces up reads higher than the side that's down. What gives? I guess it could be dripping because I drove so slow that it didn't blow it away driving down the road, no oil on the underside of the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Always go on what the lowest reading is. How long did you let it sit after running? The oil spot from the tube is probably from snow going up it and melting washing what was in it out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The metal of the dipstick does not perfectly go down the center of the tube without hitting the sides and gets oil on it from the side of the tube, one side will be lower and thats the side you want to look at. It happens on a lot if not most cars

1 - 4 of 4 Posts