Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a *** *** noise for about a month now, coming from my rear end area. Pulled the cover off, the oil didn't have any metal in it and I turn the gears, from what I could see, everything looked good as far as teeth. I'm thinking bearings. I need help with what brand to use. can't find national or timken for my 11.5. Has anyone used Motive , Dorman or USA standard brand in there trucks. Also if anyone thinks it might be something else. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Does the noise change while you steer the vehicle right/left. No change might indicate diff carrier bearings. A noticeable change would indicate axle bearings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No change turning. Almost goes away with no acceleration/load. That's what makes me think rear pinion bearing. I just can't get National or Timken bearing from any parts house around here. Napa has a master rebuild kit. Just wondering what brands to steer clear off really.

·
Registered
877 Posts
No change turning. Almost goes away with no acceleration/load. That's what makes me think rear pinion bearing. I just can't get National or Timken bearing from any parts house around here. Napa has a master rebuild kit. Just wondering what brands to steer clear off really.
Napa also carries SKF,,,anyway they had the exact replacement for my right hub bearing,SKF or is it SFK? made in Spain, same part # and the best price for a non China replacement, $318 plus tax,,dealer wanted $415 plus tax, some of the carrier bearing in my differential were Koyo,Japan,I'm told that it's a pretty good bearing, the hubs had timkin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Napa has my carrier brearings, pinion bearings and shims for $408. But is comes with the ring gear bolts, which I don't need. But the kit without the bolts doesn't have the shims. About a $60 difference.

·
Registered
877 Posts
this was the issue
That's the same one that went bad on me,,,rinse and clean complete housing, if not, change your oil at least twice in a week or so to get metal flakes out.I thought I had mine clean but it had enough left in it to cause ware on pinon

·
Registered
707 Posts
How many miles on the truck?
Do you know if there were any contributing factors - such as gear oil got contaminated or not changed?

·
Registered
17 3500 Laramie CCLB
7,198 Posts
That's the same one that went bad on me,,,rinse and clean complete housing, if not, change your oil at least twice in a week or so to get metal flakes out.I thought I had mine clean but it had enough left in it to cause ware on pinon
Cleaning the housing IS the ONLY correct way. Changing the oil over and over will not be good enough.

·
Registered
17 3500 Laramie CCLB
7,198 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Cleaning the housing IS the ONLY correct way. Changing the oil over and over will not be good enough.
Agreed, I took a pressure washer to it after taking the whole thing apart,,that was much better. It completely skipped my brain that the pinon had some trapped

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
once axel's were pulled carrier popped out a little. all bearings and seals were replaced after pic was taken. housing also got cleaned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts