Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Differential fluid change

1227 6
Well I finally got to spend some "quality time" with my "new to me" Ram. Read this board where it was recommended to stay under the 30lbs. speced torque for the cover bolts as the have a tendency to snap. Well I stayed right near + 20lbs. But WTF was the factory thinking...now I know what NFL lineman do in the off season to keep the strength up! I only hope my wheel lugs are that tight :) No wonder why they break on us, the factory must have them at least double the torque they call for. Fronts where a little bit of a pain to break free with the steering/suspension hanging in the way. It will be much easier next time with them at a reasonable torque number.

Anyway it went quick, neat and easy(love the reusable gasket and not having to scrape). The fluid looked good but have a little "silvery" tint from some break in bits I suppose. Glad I changed it, I am at 30,XXX and will tow often.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah....good idea. I am sure I will be fine getting them off next time, they really don't need much torque, that's a pretty good gasket with the little double beads.

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah it really makes it nice. just wish i had more money to do more than just change the fluid when im in there!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..must fight urge to modify..must resist....

Honestly, I am not changing anything other than safety/ride/handling items. If I need airbags or a steering stabilizer or steering rack brace, fine... I am all for it, otherwise "just say no" is my motto.

I have the trackcar in my signature in my trailer minus an engine and tranny that are at the local Porsche gurus...I dread they day the bill comes. It took a perfectly good car, gutted it, through in a full cage, fire suppression, wheels/tires and 7k in suspension bits...and that's BEFORE this powertrain upgrade. That modification process is a slippery slope :)

This is a great truck, that exists primarily for me to get my daughter to horse shows/lessons. It is not my toy...it is not my toy...that is what I keep telling myself ;)

All kidding aside 650lbs of torque is plenty, and the rest of the truck seems fairly stout. I am hauling horses, I'm feather-footing it already at that power level to keep them comfy!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Keep telling yourself that! Like i need the power I've got to tow my 17' boat to the lake. But good luck with keeping that thing stock. They sure last alot longer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talk about overkill... :)

Keep telling yourself that! Like i need the power I've got to tow my 17' boat to the lake. But good luck with keeping that thing stock. They sure last alot longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.