Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

441 - 460 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Banks' will probably cool better than the AAM finned cover with increased fin area and forced direction of cooling air (scoops),
maybe the increased fin area, but the directed airflow i think won't do squat. kawasaki heavy did a study in the mid-late 90s when the four japanese motorcycle manufacturers were starting their huge craze into "ram air" marketing hype and found that directed air induction is ineffective at best under 130 mph. below that it doesn't have enough inertia to get trapped in the directed channels so the air just gets outta the way and does its own thing. they kept the intakes on the front of the bikes, but dropped "ram air" etc from their marketing. it was further proved that trying to direct air like that wasn't necessary for performance when Nicky Hayden and the Repsol Honda team in 06 beat everybody with a porky v-twin sucking air from inside the frame behind the radiators. the big snorkel on the RC-51's cowl was just for equalizing air pressure behind the fairing to help with stability at speed.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
maybe the increased fin area, but the directed airflow i think won't do squat. kawasaki heavy did a study in the mid-late 90s when the four japanese motorcycle manufacturers were starting their huge craze into "ram air" marketing hype and found that directed air induction is ineffective at best under 130 mph. below that it doesn't have enough inertia to get trapped in the directed channels so the air just gets outta the way and does its own thing. they kept the intakes on the front of the bikes, but dropped "ram air" etc from their marketing. it was further proved that trying to direct air like that wasn't necessary for performance when Nicky Hayden and the Repsol Honda team in 06 beat everybody with a porky v-twin sucking air from inside the frame behind the radiators. the big snorkel on the RC-51's cowl was just for equalizing air pressure behind the fairing to help with stability at speed.
Ram air for induction is a bit different than for cooling. Just look at air-cooled aircraft engines and the baffling they have to direct the air properly, it does make a difference.

Heck, look at the old VW engines with the fan and baffling....

What I'd really like to see is the data between the Banks and AAM cover, to see what the real difference is in cooling performance. AAM advertises theirs to drop temps 35F.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,758 Posts
... the directed airflow i think won't do squat.
kawasaki heavy did a study in the mid-late 90s when the four japanese motorcycle manufacturers were starting their huge craze into "ram air" marketing hype and found that directed air induction is ineffective at best under 130 mph. below that it doesn't have enough inertia to get trapped in the directed channels so the air just gets outta the way and does its own thing.
Thank you @El Pozzinator , Reality check accepted. :hail:
Or as I stated back in post #427...
Just buy the new Banks cover, cut those ridiculous lower air scoops off, and hope all the internal groves don’t actually make things worse.
I'm figuring the Banks new & improved technology aspect here is little more than sales click-bait. . .
. . .but I'm just in it for the bling factor so for me its a win-win. Yeah, I'd probably buy one. :thumbsup:

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,758 Posts
You really need to buy two, so you can show people what the inside looks like, too.
Pssst... Dont tell any of the guys here...

...but my VISA card is already well past critical mass.

-Ej-

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,817 Posts
I'm going to wait for someone to come out with a cowl induction cooler system, rather then a ram air induction cooler. That way i make some room to put a supercharger on my differential to really see some gains.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
haha, pretty sure all rights to photos are lots when uploaded to postimages or the like... but it is funny as heck when you run across someone re-embdeding something from your own share. "hey wait a min..."

@Electrojake is a photo bandit :grin2:

·
Registered
14,788 Posts
I'm going to wait for someone to come out with a cowl induction cooler system, rather then a ram air induction cooler. That way i make some room to put a supercharger on my differential to really see some gains.
Someone will probably run ducting from the front of the truck down along the frame and directed right at the diff cover. Kind like ducted brakes.....but ducted differential.

If Gales watching these threads then I'm sure he'll do it first...and state the awesomeness of it too.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,758 Posts
@Electrojake is a photo bandit.
I frequently pull pics from the thread, clean then up, down-sized them a bit, and paste them into members posts that I quote to make for a cleaner overall post.
However... In the gsbrockman case... well yeah, I pretty much stole it. :S:

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on them deep-well sockets in the upper left either.

·
Registered
14,788 Posts
Thanks for posting... I already saw it show up on YT the other day.
Following Gales fashion so far in this much heated discussion, his new video contains nothing new. It only discusses the same stuff everyone saw in his other previous diff cover videos.

My opinion is...Gales outrageously overpriced new differential cover is too expensive for most people and his anticipated sales arent meeting the hype he tried to generate by telling everyone that their current "flatback" cover was going to cause damage.
So what do you do when you're sitting around on a stockpile of diff cover inventory not moving? Ya double down on marketing and see if you can reel people back in to the kool aid before summer towing season...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Following Gales fashion so far in this much heated discussion, his new video contains nothing new. It only discusses the same stuff everyone saw in his other previous diff cover videos.
LOL...so still no actual hard data that he kept promising ??

·
Cummins Freak
3,252 Posts
EBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

441 - 460 of 460 Posts