Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About ready to change oil in my difs after 4.30 re-gear break in.

Thinking about putting aftermarket cover on for functinality and looks.

Any recommendations out there?
Want it to be functional but also look good.

Thanks!

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Any recommendations out there?
I’d avoid the OE style one used on the 3500 AISIN equipped trucks. Seems as if they require grinding of the fins in order to prevent the sway bar from rubbing.....and they add no additional capacity, either.

Stick with one for use on a coil-spring style 2014 and newer 2500.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
PML cover for mine. Just keep it the natural aluminum (comes with option for paint) if you want the max ability for heat transfer. Have them on front and rear and unless your contstantly in 4x4 I wouldnt bother with the front.

PML is also one of the best price, made in USA.

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
I put the oem AAM finned cover on mine way back right after I first got my truck. Back then they were super cheap, think I gave about $100 for mine, now they are lots more expensive. You do have to clearance the fins on the lower 1/3rd to clear the swaybar. Also, it doesn't have a drain plug, just a fill plug, would be very handy to have a drain.

After getting my Mag-Hytec trans pan, I can imagine their rear covers would be top notch quality but pretty pricey, not sure how they will clear the swaybar.

·
Registered
13,730 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I put the oem AAM finned cover on mine way back right after I first got my truck. Back then they were super cheap, think I gave about $120 for mine, now they are lots more expensive. You do have to clearance the fins on the lower 1/3rd to clear the swaybar. Also, it doesn't have a drain plug, just a fill plug.

Personally I think the factory one looks great, and works great.

If you off-road , you may want to look at an aftermarket thicker one. I have thick ones on my Jeep. I’ve slammed them into boulders, and never cracked. The factory one may crack if you slam into something. But I don’t rock crawl my hauler, so works for me :)

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
I put the oem AAM finned cover on mine way back right after I first got my truck. Back then they were super cheap, think I gave about $120 for mine, now they are lots more expensive. You do have to clearance the fins on the lower 1/3rd to clear the swaybar. Also, it doesn't have a drain plug, just a fill plug.
Strange, this text looks very familiar except the price...

What? Too much trouble to come up with your own words?

·
Registered
14,788 Posts
I installed a MagHytec on my '01. Increased the factory capacity by an additional 4 quarts.

I also ran a temperature gauge on both the rear differential stock cover for a towing season and then on the MagHytec. The difference was clear...

I honestly dont understand how AAM gets so much towing capacity out of their differential with less than 4 quarts of fluid in there. They must get HOT...!

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Can't imagine why you'd want to increase the capacity by 5 quarts!

And, that one for sure wouldn't clear the swaybar on the 2500.
But the skull is soooooooooo kewlllllllllllllllll

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can't imagine why you'd want to increase the capacity by 5 quarts!

And, that one for sure wouldn't clear the swaybar on the 2500.
But the skull is soooooooooo kewlllllllllllllllll
https://ballisticfabrication.com/products/high-capacity-aam-11-5-differential-cover-welded

Could care less about the skull but wouldn’t mind the extra fluid. Make service intervals longer on the fluid changes. Also have a buddy running one and he swears by them.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I put the oem AAM finned cover on mine way back right after I first got my truck. Back then they were super cheap, think I gave about $92 for mine, now they are lots more expensive. You do have to clearance the fins to clear the swaybar. Made a spacer for the sway bar bracket. Also, it doesn't have a drain plug, just a fill plug, would be very handy to have a drain. Its' the one they put on the 1 ton duel wheel to keep it cool so should be OK for mine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Magtechs for me front and rear have been a solid choice. Only issue was the Thuren trackbar would tap when at full bump during speed. After about 10 hours of cycling, it’s gone :) I’m off-road a lot.

·
Registered
14,788 Posts
Why would it make the service intervals longer?
Increasing the lubrication stock capacity will always decrease service intervals simply due to the amount of lubricant which is being used to do the same work.

Basically, if you could increase the oil pan capacity of your engine to say 1000 gallons, you'd probably never have to change the oil unless it was contaminated.

So increasing the capacity of the differential greatly increases the lubricants integrity over time. The finned aluminum material is merely a bonus to help increase dissipation to help reduce oxidation which degrades the fluid. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Yes, it'll take longer for a larger amount of fluid to get warm. But then, it'll also take longer to cool off.
I'd take cooling capacity over fluid capacity.

Besides, the wear particles in the diff housing won't really care whether they're being moved around in four quarts or four gallons. They'll still do their damage to gears and bearings as they pass by.

1 - 20 of 460 Posts