Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I figure out which differental I have? Are there some markings? I seem to remember the brake guy told me it was a 6000lb rear end, due to the size of the brakes. Is it possible to convert an open differental to a limited slip? I'm tired of smoking the right rear tire all of the time.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
NonIC engine with a 727 you should have a set of 3:08's. It uses the same carrier as a 3:54/4:10 does. So finding one isn't hard. All you need to do is pull an axle and do a spline count. It should be a 35 spline axle. But check it before you buy anything.

·
Registered
501 Posts
hey Philip,
Have you ever seen a 32-spline axle with the studs and cones? Not that I'd avoid pulling and counting before spending money...heh-heh-heh. So far it looks like the stud axles are 35 spline and bolted are 32 with the break around the mid-1991 model year.

As far as the change goes, the ring carriers are the same between the 3.07 and 4.10 ratios; 4.56-7.17 use a different one, and ov course the 3.07 has a special housing with 31/32" pinion offset v. the usual 5/8".
cheers,
Douglas

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Douglas I haven't seen a Dodge 32 spline with studs and wedge locks. All I have seen is 35 spline with them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess more what I was asking for was the type like DANA 60 or whatever it might happen to be.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I guess more what I was asking for was the type like DANA 60 or whatever it might happen to be.
I believe the type nomenclature is Dana 70-U. Google some on the D70 and you'll find information on things like ID-ing it through the build numbers( and where they're found ).
cheers,
Douglas

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Doing a BOM number search might work. It Dana says they can't cross the BOM. Then get ready for some special machine work if you go to do a rebuild. I have found 4 Dodge axles and 1 chevy axle that the BOM wouldn't show on Dana's site.

Every axle had a bearing race OD that was under size. They had taken the stock race and had turned the OD down to make it fit a inproperly machined area. :mad:

Try to find a machine shop with a OD cylindical grinder. :(

Two of those Dodge axles were in my truck. The rear axle had a .010" under sized rear pinion bearing outer race. My front axle had a .005" under lower king pin bearing. These were OD measurements of the outer race compared to new race with the exact same number on it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Doing a BOM number search might work. It Dana says they can't cross the BOM. Then get ready for some special machine work if you go to do a rebuild. I have found 4 Dodge axles and 1 chevy axle that the BOM wouldn't show on Dana's site.

Every axle had a bearing race OD that was under size. They had taken the stock race and had turned the OD down to make it fit a inproperly machined area. :mad:

Try to find a machine shop with a OD cylindical grinder. :(

Two of those Dodge axles were in my truck. The rear axle had a .010" under sized rear pinion bearing outer race. My front axle had a .005" under lower king pin bearing. These were OD measurements of the outer race compared to new race with the exact same number on it.
You're scaring me....with a 3.07 axle rebuild in progress. Can one get Dana to supply these wacky parts?
cheers,
Douglas

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Can one get Dana to supply these wacky parts?

:rof :rof I am sorry I couldn't help myself.

If Dana doesn't even want to list the BOM so it could be crossed. You can bet money they won't supply parts they did some jury rigging on.

When you get that axle open. Just start using calipers on the bearing race OD's. If you find one under size. Then you have three options. Try to get a race cut down to fit, or get the housing remachined to the correct spec's. Reuse the old race ifyou can.

I haven't found any bearing ID's out of spec's.

·
Registered
501 Posts
---- Just start using calipers on the bearing race OD's.

I have a set of Fowler mics, I'll measure them all....:) There is no re-using the old races; they've all got wear, some rather severe.
cheers,
Douglas

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is it the same differential with the 5 speeds manuel trany.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
The 3:07's were an option on the getrags. These were not the standard gears used with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts