Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
18' 3500, noticed my Ram had a different engine tone/sound after idling for about 30min. Does this sound like an issue or is this some type of setting the engine goes into? Thanks for your input

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
In the winter, my 16’ would go from a deep sound to quiet. I believe it had to do with warming up and the vgt changing it vein location. Yii I u could hear the truck from inside the house, then all of a sudden it would go quiet. That was in stock form.

·
Cummins Freak
3,318 Posts
Maybe it was regening unless you are deleted!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
Maybe it was regening unless you are deleted!!

Should have thought of that myself, very likely what happened.

·
Cummins Freak
3,318 Posts
It can but mine will idle up when it does. Usually they wait till you drive but I guess if gets to a certain percentage it will try in idle!!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Not on my truck.

According to the CTS2, if I'm in regen, soon as I put the truck in park or sit idling in gear (at a stop light or traffic) it drops out of regen. Once I start moving again it restarts the regen. I've had the CTS2 for 4 years (IIRC) and have never seen the truck regen while idling and I do let it idle quite a bit. That is to include using the high idle feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
My 15 will not regen while idling. Never has. It wont even maintain an active regen once stopped or in park. The owners manual talks about a soot reduction mode if idled for a long time. This mode will cancel if you touch the throttle, touch the brake, or manually idle up the truck. This is the best mode for soot load during long idle. It is a mode to help the DPF to soot load more slowly. It is an idle above the normal idle and below the idle up. It could involve a different vane position than a normal idle and the vane position could vary while in soot reduction mode.
The dealer can perform a stationary desoot. But, that requires dealer level equipment to perform and the truck will not perform that function on its own.
At 30 minutes of idle my money is on soot reduction mode. There are also other factors that could kick the truck into this mode other than time.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Just to add another,... My truck (2016) stops any kind of regen when it goes into park (or reverse etc) so it will not regen while sitting parked at idle.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Mine will regen at idle. In park it will bump up the idle to 900rpm.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Mine will regen at idle. In park it will bump up the idle to 900rpm.
An idle bump is not a sign of a regen while at idle. It may be charging the batteries or going into soot reduction mode or a number of other things. But, it wont be bumping up idle to retain a regen. It could bump up to keep the DPF warm/hotter to more quickly restart the regen once underway but it wont throw extra fuel at the DPF to get it hot enough to be regenning while parked. There is just not enough of a load on the motor to do it properly and the exhaust temps could start a fire or burn a passerby. This is why ram has the regular tailpipe unlike the Ford or GM. The Ram wont be in regen while parked unless it is a dealer triggered desoot. A full/almost plugged DPF will throw a full keep driving warning. It wont throw a DPF full keep idling warning.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
An idle bump is not a sign of a regen while at idle. It may be charging the batteries or going into soot reduction mode or a number of other things. But, it wont be bumping up idle to retain a regen. It could bump up to keep the DPF hot to restart the regen once underway but it wont throw extra fuel at the DPF to get it hot enough to be regenning while parked. There is just not enough of a load on the motor to do it properly and the exhaust temps could start a fire or burn a passerby. This is why ram has the regular tailpipe unlike the Ford or GM. The Ram wont be in regen while parked unless it is a dealer triggered desoot.
What's the difference between soot reduction mode and regen? In winter (October to April or May) I idle a lot and rarely hit the highway. I live near a school so speed limit is 30km/h for a bit then goes to 45km/h. The last 100 meters or so bumps up to 60km/h before I turn into work. I have never seen the dpf full message.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
What's the difference between soot reduction mode and regen? In winter (October to April or May) I idle a lot and rarely hit the highway. I live near a school so speed limit is 30km/h for a bit then goes to 45km/h. The last 100 meters or so bumps up to 60km/h before I turn into work. I have never seen the dpf full message.
The soot reduction mode idles the truck up to a point that is ideal for soot loading the DPF more slowly. It still loads it up and is at a lower temp to keep it from regen. It just gives you more time in idle before it is necessary to drive. It loads it more slowly then at idle but uses more fuel to maintain that state. Its a balancing act.
My truck would regen every @24 operating hours. I have had jobs where the truck would go 100yds to work and back a day for six months. It rarely ever got out on the road to 35 or 45 mph. I never saw the full keep driving message either. I would also idle it to stay warm or cool while taking a break at work. It must be hard to get the DPF full message because i tried and never had it come on.
The insight CTS 2 and 3 have helped to see exactly when a regen hits. They work well.
Guys at our utility company run these trucks and use the PTO to run attachments. They have had them plug up while idling and while using the attachments though. If they could regen while at idle this would never happen. IIRC some of the C&C trucks had software to trigger a stationary regen available. It was not a dealer level desoot but they could regen while parked. This was in fire equipment and ambulance equipment and could be added to utility equipment. I also believe the. 17+ Ford trucks have this feature. You get the make sure its parked in the open and has enough fuel prompts before it will trigger when parked.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The soot reduction mode idles the truck up to a point that is ideal for soot loading the DPF more slowly. It still loads it up and is at a lower temp to keep it from regen. It just gives you more time in idle before it is necessary to drive. It loads it more slowly then at idle but uses more fuel to maintain that state. Its a balancing act.
My truck would regen every @24 operating hours. I have had jobs where the truck would go 100yds to work and back a day for six months. It rarely ever got out on the road to 35 or 45 mph. I never saw the full keep driving message either. I would also idle it to stay warm or cool while taking a break at work. It must be hard to get the DPF full message because i tried and never had it come on.
The insight CTS 2 and 3 have helped to see exactly when a regen hits. They work well.
Guys at our utility company run these trucks and use the PTO to run attachments. They have had them plug up while idling and while using the attachments though. If they could regen while at idle this would never happen. IIRC some of the C&C trucks had software to trigger a stationary regen available. It was not a dealer level desoot but they could regen while parked. This was in fire equipment and ambulance equipment and could be added to utility equipment. I also believe the. 17+ Ford trucks have this feature. You get the make sure its parked in the open and has enough fuel prompts before it will trigger when parked.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, that's not how I read the description in the manual. Obviously we can pick apart the definition of 'maintaining the DPF'. Unless alfaOBD can show regen status, I'll wait till I get a better monitor to see regen status. A cheap app I had prior showed it as a regen but it doesn't connect to the truck anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Note that it is modified from earlier diesel supplements.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, that's not how I read the description in the manual. Obviously we can pick apart the definition of 'maintaining the DPF'. Unless alfaOBD can show regen status, I'll wait till I get a better monitor to see regen status. A cheap app I had prior showed it as a regen but it doesn't connect to the truck anymore.
I understand. My owners manual states that “If the engine is allowed to idle, under some conditions the idle speed may increase to 900RPM then return to normal idle speed. This is normal operation.”
A few years ago i went down the rabbit hole on how these systems work out of curiosity. Found some good information but it was not easy to source. Its kept from the driver and goes on in the background and most don’t care as long as they get from point A to point B.
I could be wrong but am relaying what i have read and how i understand it. My research has been confirmed by the CTS3. Maybe there is variation between years. But, my past 14 with the CTS2 and this 15 with CTS3 have never regenned at idle. The status goes from on to off once placed in park. I am glad they don’t regen in park. It would be a waste of time and fuel and how would a load be placed on the engine to generate enough heat? The needed load is higher and when a keep driving light pops you usually need to jump on the highway and/or try to stay above 45 mph for at least 45 minutes. The trucks at the dealer parked in the back running the desoot are idled WAY UP. They sound like they are about to blow with their hoods open and tons of generated heat out the pipe and from under the truck. Its a sight to see.
I cant imagine a Cummins regenning in park with kids running between the vehicles at a school. If yours does that be very careful.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

I use AlfaOBD to show regen status. The PID is available, you just have to manually enter it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts