Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up an 03 ram 3500 4x4 duelly 6speed nv5600 4 door. The digital read outs on the bottom don't light up. I picked up an instrument cluster from an 03 3500 4x4 auto. 4 door. I didn't realize it at the time . When I got home And removed mine and went to install the new one I then realized the white and Grey plugs are on the opposite sides. WHY and is there anyway to switch them or remove the digital displays and if i install them in mine will they work ? PLEASE HELP AS I NEED THEM TO WORK TO PASS AN OUT OF PROVINCE INSPECTION.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
First need to id what 03 version you have pcm and ecm or just ECM.
readouts are Not digital, Vacuum fluorecent tubes.
Cant just swap EMIC (cluster) , to avoid theft/fraud, VIN mileage/hours and or security info have to match, need some one able to flash ROM memory on EMIC.
probally gonna cheaper to fix yours or find proper rebuilt cluster.
I would try Google cluster shop by you

·
Registered
148 Posts
Google cluster shop by you
thanks for the laugh 🤣🤣
Most shops near me are Cluster shops...

On the seriously side, the laws around odometer have had engineers build in lots of controls. This requires a like for like and many times maintenance will not work.

But check pinout and see if you have power to the appropriate circuit. I've repaired a few ribbon tapes, PC boards with bad spots to power the circuit.

Check to make sure it is the cluster and not something in the truck. I have repaired things that didnt need replaced only later to find the root cause, on my own vehicle..

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I had my mileage display go out on my OEM cluster (04.5). It was not the solder connections on the board, all were good when I opened it up. The display would fade in and out. It eventually got to the point where you just couldn't see it at all.

I picked up a used cluster from an '05. Doesn't matter if you get an auto or a manual cluster (my truck is an NV5600, cluster was from an auto). Took it to a local place that swapped all the information from my cluster to the "new" one. I think it cost me $60 or so do have them do that. Have all paperwork, completely legal to do. Fully functioning for 7 years+ still.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Premium Member
I know nothing.🙄
2,001 Posts
It’s easier to find a cluster with similar mileage. You don’t need to program jack squat on the 03-05 clusters.

Just need to find the cluster out of a similarly optioned truck. (Power locks, windows, etc.) The exception is that auto and manual clusters are interchangeable.

Post pics of the connectors on your original and the replacement. Also post p/n of both.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
It’s easier to find a cluster with similar mileage. You don’t need to program jack squat on the 03-05 clusters.
The only thing that needs to be "programmed" per se is transferring the mileage of your cluster to your "new" cluster.
It's unlikely you'll find a cluster that's got your exact mileage on it. It was hard enough years ago to find a cluster that was in good shape that wasn't outrageously priced, let alone one that would match the mileage of the truck. If I ever want to sell the truck (likely not) I wanted it to be spot on. The companies that swap this information do it legally. Being that I couldn't see the mileage either, I didn't know exactly what it was since I had driven it some time without being to see the display. They were able to pull that info from the cluster accurately.

It's been so many years ago I did this, I can't remember if I swapped the fob receiver from my old cluster to the new one as well to avoid re-programming any of the locks or not. I know for a fact I have the receiver from 1 of the 2 clusters in my box of parts in case I ever needed it for something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts