Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what the main differences are between these two year models other than the exterior body style. What were the engines rated for HP and Torque? Is one better than the other? I am looking for a manual tranny, so any changes between these two in the tranny? I am looking for a quad cab and the 03 appears to have a lot more room in the back and having four doors is nice. Any other recommendation when looking at these trucks is also appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
i would recomend the 02 the 24v i consider a much stronger motor than the first year of the common rail. The 03 will have more room because they are crew cab. The 02 is 235hp 505trq, the ho is 245hp i not sure trq i thinkin 550. The 03 is 305hp and close to 600hp

·
Registered
314 Posts
02 is 235/460 02 ho 245/505 03 will get a bit less mpg due to tighter emmisions which resulted in lower cylinder pressure. but 03 has more power stock and a different body/interior:thumbsup

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would recommend 03 for the mileage and durability. The 02 would probably have a broader range of performance parts, as the 03-04 dodge is kinda an inbetweenie. It really depends on where your wanting to go with the truck. Out of all of the dodges, the 03s probably get the best mileage.. second only to a 12 valve. Maybe you could give more info on what your wanting to do to the truck? Both would have high durability, but the mileage of the 02 would suffer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking for a daily driver and occasionally will tow with the truck. I am not looking to add many mods. Reliability and mileage are more important to me than monster power. It looks like there is a toss up between which has the best mileage? The 03 stock numbers look really good compared to the 02. Were there any issues with the common rail system in the 03's? What about the manual tranny's? 5 or 6spd's in both year models?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Seems like with the 03s there was something to do with the manual trans.. i cant remember. Like 4th gear issues. Dont hold me to it, i would search the forum and see what you come up with. But i do remember an issue with the manual trans. As far as the common rail system its more reliable (with my experience) than the 600 series due to the fact there is no post injection to control emissions and such. Also gives it better mileage, and it sounds a bit more like the 02s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts