Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Difference pulling 5th wheel vs bumper pull rv

316 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  YogiBayer
Has anybody noticed a difference between a 5th wheel and a bumper pull. I could pull my 36" 5th wheel with no problems it was regularly pulled to Branson. Truck struggles with the 26' bumper pull. Truck is a 1996 dodge ram 2500 excab auto trans 215000 miles I'm the second owner. Put a new Bosch lift pump on it last year and did the prefilter heater delete. Rebuilt injectors from pdp and a torx adjustable ofv. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge at this time is there like a certain number of turns that I could use to be in the ballpark of the correct fuel pressure like on carburetors turn it in all the way than out three turns. It does not blow black smoke any more. Fuel and air filter changed 6000 miles ago. Thanks
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Definitely check fuel pressure, make sure the FSS is going all the way up ans make sure the throttle linkage is properly adjusted to allow full throttle.

Boost gauge and EGT/Pyrometer will help see if its fueling correctly too.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have boost pryo and trans temp gauges they were in truck when purchased. All reading the same as when I bought the truck. Will check fss when the snows gone . Truck runs great without trailer hooked up. Something has to be up with the fuel system don't think it has anything to do with the different trailers . Pulling trailer up steep hills got it floored before it would start blowing black smoke about 45 50 mph turn off od no black smoke and it would pick up speed. Now no smoke and when you turn off od it will barely get to top of hill.

· Registered
6,187 Posts
So, you have pulled the 5th wheel and the trailer recently in the same truck config? Or has it been a while since the 5th wheel was towed? Could be a new issue that affects both towing experiences.

In general, I find 5th wheels tow better, but more so in terms of stability not power.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I traded the 5th wheel in on a new bumper pull just me and the wife down sizing just before the covid shutdown. Our trailer was fixing to go on the factory floor when they got shut down. So it was a few months before we got it. Only thing I changed was the lift pump. Truck ran better after changing it . When I picked up our new trailer the truck did not pull like it used to. My Chilton book said to change injectors at 200000 km. Changed them did not make any difference. Changed the ofv the adjustable one was cheaper so I got it . It said it was set for stock pressure.

· Registered
504 Posts
How different are the aerodynamics of the 2 rigs?

· Registered
18,000 Posts
I have about a million miles of towing with my '97. That includes every type and shape of trailer you can imagine. Pulling a 26 bumper pull TT is a lot easier than pulling a 36 ft 5er. You have other issues. Thinking it is the trailer is absurd. The only thing a Chilton is good for is emergency toilet paper. There isn't any kind of requirement for injector replacement. I regularly use mine until about 400k. There is a free download of the factory service manual in the stickies or better yet, a print version is available. 1996 Dodge Ram Factory Service Manual (genosgarage.com)

• Love
Reactions: s10010001

· Registered
504 Posts
Maybe your trailer brakes drag. If the wiring is off they could be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts