Cummins Diesel Forum banner

difference between 3/4 and 1 ton?

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ridemoto4life 
#1 ·
besides dually rear ends what is the difference in trucks? ive owned a 3/4 ton but never a 1 ton and i might buy this 91 single axle 1 ton. is it just a heavier leaf pack in the rear? thanks!:butt:

#4 ·
1 ton had clearance lights on the cab on duallies. (Not on 1 ton single wheel)
Front and rear axles are supposed to be different with the 1 ton axles rated for more load. Springs and shocks are differant #s. (There are 7 spring choices for 1990 alone)
If it is a dually, the hubs front and rear are changed from the 3/4 ton.
i'm pretty sure the steering gear is the same, the brakes are different.

I had a single rear wheel 1 ton before I got my 3/4 ton.

#5 ·
i found a 91 350 auto for sale that i want to get. the odo is stopped at 212k. it has a rebuilt head which makes me thing when the bottom end will go.

#6 ·
Remove the oil filler cap when the engine is running to check for any blow-by. If clear and the auto trans shifts smooth with no slip then it should be okay if the price is reasonable. These engines are pretty tough if well maintained.

I looked at one a while back that was smoking like a chimney out the oil filler neck and I told them 'no thanks'. They were telling me 'they all do that' but there should not be any blow-by getting past the rings if the oil was changed on time.

#7 ·
I've seen lots of diesels do that and they all have ra a long time. Most will have some blow by, but if it looks like your exhaust when you stand on it, thats bad!
I wouldn't say no just because of blow by, but if it had other "issues" then it would be a turnoff.
DS79

#10 ·
This one was pretty bad IMO. It only had 170,000 miles. I have seen cummins with much higher miles with no noticeable blow-by.

There are lots of these trucks out there if you look on e-bay or autotrader. Why not get one with less wear on the engine?

You are right, though. The engine is going to run fine even with blow-by. Not a reason to get rid of a truck.

#8 ·
yeah they will all have some

#11 ·
i went and drove the truck last night. it runs well but i forgot to check for blow by, i was tired. got there at 8pm and had worked from 5am to 4pm that day with lack of sleep the night before!

anyways its a non intercooled 91 1 ton with e-range pirreli scorpion A/t tires. yeah the brakes do look bigger. the current owner got it from the original owner and he put isspro gauges, fuel pin, pump turned up. it already had a straight pipe. its got dual battery set up. he put h4 lights which work GREAT! it pulled 17-18psi of boost when i floored it, trans feels just like my other cummins (good). needs the kingpins rebuild but it doesnt hop. its a LE too. i think im going to buy this one. i found a 90 with about 160k but she wants more then is in my budget and she wont come down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.