Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference. Were I buy it it says premium on the pump. What station in michigan sells the best diesel?

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Diesel #1 has a lower temp that it gels at.

I used to run a mix in my local tractor for well below freezing temps. That was years ago and it didn’t have an operational fuel heater on that old rig.

·
Registered
13,693 Posts
Diesel #1 has a lower temp that it gels at.
Yup, that's the biggest difference.

Also has a lower vaporization point, definitely a extreme cold weather only fuel for most on-highway engines.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Registered
13,693 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,163 Posts
What is premium then?
Higher quality of fuel in 5 areas; Cetane, lubriucty, energy content, low temp operability, thermal stability. You could probably achieve the same results with a good additive package. Originally it was only 3 of the 5 yo be labeled premium but NCWM tightened that to include all 5. Whether or not the fuel meets those standards for labeling is the problem and it varies state to state.

·
Go Packers
5,990 Posts
Our propane supplier sells diesel fuel. His is a premium bio free fuel. He said his fuel is a 50 cetane fuel. My truck likes it.

·
Registered
18,880 Posts
Probably the gas on the other end of the pump.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Our propane supplier sells diesel fuel. His is a premium bio free fuel. He said his fuel is a 50 cetane fuel. My truck likes it.

I fill up at southern states, who also has 50 Cetane on and off road diesel.

All diesel comes out of the same pipelines at the minimum rating (40 Cetane), its what's done to it after by the fuel companies that will raise cetane levels or survive the colder temps. If you're filling up at pumps that say 40, you're "probably/hopefully" getting 40.

·
Go Packers
5,990 Posts
I fill up at southern states, who also has 50 Cetane on and off road diesel.

All diesel comes out of the same pipelines at the minimum rating (40 Cetane), its what's done to it after by the fuel companies that will raise cetane levels or survive the colder temps. If you're filling up at pumps that say 40, you're "probably/hopefully" getting 40.
Its to bad there is not a standard for all stations to have the same cetane rated fuel. When traveling, its a guess. Some stations have better fuel than others. Came home from my Mom's a while back. Got fuel at a BP truck stop kind of place. Truck really liked that stuff.

·
Go Packers
5,990 Posts
I'm not sure I've seen any diesel pumps listing the cetane value. All I see is the Ultra Low diesel fuel sticker stating for highway use.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Some stations have better fuel than others. Got fuel at a BP truck stop kind of place. Truck really liked that stuff.
Similarly, I got fuel somewhere in Oklahoma and noticed that the 3500 ran better. At first I thought it was the lower altitude it liked, but it was largely fuel related, I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts