Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Difference between 04 and 04.5?

18411 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  cerberusiam
I bought my truck and it is an early production 04. When I look at some parts advertisements they list them for 04.5. Will these parts work on my truck as well? I know that 04.5's are said to be more desireable. What is the difference. Mine does have the 325hp engine. Do I need to update the fuel pump? The local diesel shop said some did not have the in tank pump. I have also been told that some of the 03's had valve problems. Do the early 04's suffer from this as well?

Thanks
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· hydraulic lifter crew
13,325 Posts
if your valve cover says 325 hp, then its an
04.5 model. if you plan to make some bigger
power, then yes you need to upgrade your
fuel system to a fass or airdog.

be glad you have an 04.5 :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
15,655 Posts
be glad you have an 04.5 :thumbsup:
I know a BUNCH of people that aren't that happy with tendency of the 600 series to melt down when you push them. :hehe:

If your production date is in 04 you have an 04.5 engine. Remember the MY year actually starts in August of the previous year.

The 600 series engines are easier to make power with and there are more options, but, they are a LOT more sensitive to HOW you make the power than the earlier engines. Pressure in moderation only, and watch the timing and EGT's carefully or you will be replacing pistons.

· Registered
643 Posts
'03's do have valve train issues as well, mine dropped an exhaust valve in the #6 cylinder at 63K miles, but I got a completely new motor, turbo, and all that under warranty. They even had the plastic piece on top of the motor new! The only thing they didn't replace was the exhaust manifold because I had it drilled and tapped for EGT's.

· Registered
498 Posts
Your truck didn't come with the Pump in the Tank, it has it on the side of the Filter Canister unless it has been updated

· Registered
643 Posts
I thought an 04.5 with the 325/600 motor had the in tank lift pump? I know the 04 models don't yet, but I thought that was part of the revisions on the 04.5. When did they go to the in tank module then?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, what should I look for and what do I need to do to fix it for now? I will eventually upgrade to a high end pump, but for right now I want to keep it running well. When I do go to Air Dog or Fass, do I get one for 04 or 05? That seems to be the cutoff year. Also, I was told tht Edge products were a good way to go for reasonable and safe power. I am not looking to make huge power, just have a little fun. I know there are alot of opinions, but is that a fair statement? I will be adding an intake and exhaust for now. Nothing more serious than that. Perhaps also a boost fooler if it will go with the Juice and Attitude.

· Registered
643 Posts
Edge isn't a bad product but for the money a Smarty would be a very useful programmer and tool for your truck. You would need to get one for the 04 model since yours has the pump on the filter canister. Call Pureflow at 877-421-3187 and tell them what you have, what you want to have, and they will get you set up with everything you will need to get your lift pump setup the way you want it.

Reactions: RAM135

· Premium Member
15,655 Posts
The in-tank pumps started in 05. To do an airDog or FASS system correctly you will need to pull the tank cannister out and put a draw straw in.

Thats the difference betwen the years as the pre 05's can pull thru the existing draw straw where the in-tank pumps will block the flow. Bothh need cannister mods to help the external pumps and make sure you don't have cavitation problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.