Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer tells me i need to change my diff fluids...he tells me its gonna run $380 farking dollars! I figure I will do it myself but I will call Jiffy Lube and see...manager tells me they change them all the time and it will run me $94.39 out the door. SOLD! :party018:

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Dealer tells me i need to change my diff fluids...he tells me its gonna run $380 farking dollars! I figure I will do it myself but I will call Jiffy Lube and see...manager tells me they change them all the time and it will run me $94.39 out the door. SOLD! :party018:

For $380, you can buy a Mag-Hytec diff cover, fluid and change it yourself and probably still have coin for a beer or two.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
292 Posts
how often does the fluid need to be changed? and how hard is it? i mean it cant be that bad can it lol

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Every 15K with a synthetic oil. You will need to un-bolt the Diff cover and alllow it to drain in a large catch pan. I changed mine in early March, spent around $124 for the eight quarts and then additional $250 for the Mag-Hytec cover, rear only. I am using Amsoil 75W-90 Diff fluid.

Reactions: modestodieseldk

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would do it myself if I were you. Jiffy Lube will sick a tube in the drain hole and suck out what they can then fill it back up with whatever they want.
Its better to do yourself so you can inspect the gears.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Really Jiffy Lube on your $45,000 truck ?

Do it yourself , most of you have 10 time more on the ball than a JL Certified Technician.
Ok i'm sorry, Corporate & Dana Axles need 75w140 synthetic , the factory sells it to dealer for about the same price as quality maple syrup, you can get it for less in other brands. In Technical School they tell us that the gear locker AM axles have to have a fluid patented by AM (and it has it's own MIL spec) or else the fluid will turn to something resembling strands of spaghetti. It may be a scare tactic, but I would not use your truck as test platform to disprove it. Maybe someone has tried and can share the results.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Every 15K with a synthetic oil. You will need to un-bolt the Diff cover and alllow it to drain in a large catch pan. I changed mine in early March, spent around $124 for the eight quarts and then additional $250 for the Mag-Hytec cover, rear only. I am using Amsoil 75W-90 Diff fluid.
what did you use to reseal the diff cover?

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
It's not necessary to change it every 15K unless your towing/hauling often. Every 30K is ok. Unless you live in TX or AZ where ambient temps get above 100* I'd stick to the 75W90 and AAM diffs don't need the friction modifier additive either.

You only pay for the MH cover once-- then the changes are much easier. The gasket is re-usable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
ok probably a dumb question but where do u refill it at? im guessing there is a hole in the top with a plug or something? and do you do the front and rear diff. the same?

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
It's not necessary to change it every 15K unless your towing/hauling often. Every 30K is ok. Unless you live in TX or AZ where ambient temps get above 100* I'd stick to the 75W90 and AAM diffs don't need the friction modifier additive either.

You only pay for the MH cover once-- then the changes are much easier. The gasket is re-usable.
Well, I live in Texas. So what should I run? :confused013:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I live in canada, summer times are hot, 30-40 C quite often. and since im running 37's and do tow here and there, I went with the amsoil 75w140.

·
Registered
293 Posts
They probably don't open up the covers and drain,,wipe out clean....but instead SUCK it out through the drain plug.

Dealership tried to do that routine with my vehicles until I insisted the service manager and mechanic to open up the diff covers. ONLY they were charging a hell of lot more than $94.39..... ITs your vehicle though... :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why?

why should the diff covers be removed to inspect the inner parts/gears? These are HD trucks...or supposed to be? Should we be worried that a $49K truck might be dumping its gears after 15K? I don't get it.... :banghead:

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you go to the Dodge website you can download owner's manuals from recent years. I downloaded the 2006 CTD manual and I assume the axles are the same as the following years. In 2006 there were 2 service schedules - one for light duty and one for heavy duty. The heavy duty schedule calls for 15k miles diff fluid changes but the light duty schedule says no diff fluid change is needed. It also says most trucks fall into the heavy duty use category. I guess in 2007 they decided to only have one service schedule (the heavy duty one). I'm going to wait until at least 50k before changing since I never tow anything heavy.

And I don't believe they call for a special AAM spec fluid. IIRC it is 75-90 synthetic GL5.

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
The MH covers are simply awesome.....

The rear diff cover holds almost 8 quarts of fluid!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
benefit of MH cover?

what benefit is gained with the MH cover? thanks

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
some one asked about gaskets, mine has reuseable gaskets and i went to amsoil in mine when i did my first change out,

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
what benefit is gained with the MH cover? thanks
Magnetic drain plug eliminates the need to remove the cover for fluid changes and pulls metal from the fluid.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts