Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the group I'm looking at several Class A Motorhomes many have the 5.9 cummins. Do these engines respond to upgrades like the pickup's do?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’m pretty positive you can modify these just fine. They aren’t exactly the same, meaning they are de tuned a little and some have different fuel system/injectors etc. Old man that rides with us has had several and added power to all of them. His most recent was actually deleted and tune added. Big difference in power. But you should be able to do some mods to pull a little more out of it. Are any of them the older mechanical style? Or all newer electronic? Reason I ask is because the older ones I know for a fact you can modify the pumps and stuff.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ive been looking pretty heavy at a diesel pusher as well.
I absolutely would not go with a pickup truck diesel in a classA.
Im looking pretty heavy at some Holiday Rambler classA's with Cat engines, freightliner chassis, and 6spd Alison auto.
Few key factors for me....
1 pc metal roof
Riveted aluminum exterior vs laminated fiberglass(strong chance of delam)
Slide out awnings are a must (slides cant leak, if water never gets on them in the first place)
Obviously a commercial grade chassis, like the Freightliner chassis
And atleast a 6spd auto trans.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Pusher is on my wish list. If looking at a Cummins, I'd look at a 8.3 from what I've read. But yes you can bump up the power more easily on the Cummins than the Cat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts