Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that it's any comfort, but I just finished up a European trip with a diesel rental car. Doing all of the conversion to a US gallon and for the various currencies the prices I paid were:

UK = $9.07 USD per gallon

Germany = $8.14 USD per gallon

Spain = $6.90 USD per gallon

The truckers in Spain were actually staging strikes on the highways and blocking traffic with their rigs to protest the high cost of diesel.

·
Registered
265 Posts
:thud:

That is all i have to say.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Not that it's any comfort, but I just finished up a European trip with a diesel rental car. Doing all of the conversion to a US gallon and for the various currencies the prices I paid were:

UK = $9.07 USD per gallon

Germany = $8.14 USD per gallon

Spain = $6.90 USD per gallon

The truckers in Spain were actually staging strikes on the highways and blocking traffic with their rigs to protest the high cost of diesel.
Did you figure in there tax structure (income ,property ect?) other wise you cant compare it apples to apples.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If all I had to do was drive across the county I could probably manage those as well.... we live in a much more open space than those countries. It is the miles that kill me. 15 miles to town, 30 miles to the airport, 45 miles to the big hospital if something bad happens.

and I live in a reasonably populated area in Alabama. I just don't get the comparison. I read an article yesterday where the author wanted to tax the crap out of gas to force innovation. he went on to say that because the government didn't tax it early enough that now a "tax" was being placed on it by the oil producing nations and rather than having the money from taxes to into our economy that now it is going into the middle eastern economy.

What he really doesn't understand as he sits in his new york apartment and doesn't have to drive into an office to work is that the greatest percentage of the company does have to drive into work into an office. Not all of us can live 12 blocks from our office and most of us on this board don't want to live in a larger city at all.... if we did we really wouldn't need our trucks.

sorry to vent.. but the media revolving around this issue is starting to piss me off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If all I had to do was drive across the county I could probably manage those as well.... we live in a much more open space than those countries. It is the miles that kill me. 15 miles to town, 30 miles to the airport, 45 miles to the big hospital if something bad happens.

and I live in a reasonably populated area in Alabama. I just don't get the comparison. I read an article yesterday where the author wanted to tax the crap out of gas to force innovation. he went on to say that because the government didn't tax it early enough that now a "tax" was being placed on it by the oil producing nations and rather than having the money from taxes to into our economy that now it is going into the middle eastern economy.

What he really doesn't understand as he sits in his new york apartment and doesn't have to drive into an office to work is that the greatest percentage of the company does have to drive into work into an office. Not all of us can live 12 blocks from our office and most of us on this board don't want to live in a larger city at all.... if we did we really wouldn't need our trucks.

sorry to vent.. but the media revolving around this issue is starting to piss me off.

:thumbsup:thumbsup where you at in alabama?? I am about 15 min. south of huntsville..

Oh yea and ROLLLL TIDE!!!!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you figure in there tax structure (income ,property ect?) other wise you cant compare it apples to apples.
I lived in Germany for 2 years and had employees there, so I know their average income tax rate is 56%, much higher than ours. Plus they are paying much higher prices for diesel as you can see.

I do know 1 reason why Germany is higher on diesel than say Spain: They mandate that something like 20% or 25% of all their diesel be biodiesel made in Germany. Every where you look there are bright yellow plants growing called "rapeweed" that they make it from. It's more expensive but they rely less on imported oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Some Congressional subcommittee today voted not to allow drilling between 50 and 200 miles off shore. One of the arguments was that it would take 7 to 10 years before that oil would come on line. Of course, President Clinton said it would take 10 years for oil drilled in Alaska to come online, so that is why he vetoed the legislation - 10 years ago!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I lived in Germany for 2 years and had employees there, so I know their average income tax rate is 56%, much higher than ours. Plus they are paying much higher prices for diesel as you can see.

I do know 1 reason why Germany is higher on diesel than say Spain: They mandate that something like 20% or 25% of all their diesel be biodiesel made in Germany. Every where you look there are bright yellow plants growing called "rapeweed" that they make it from. It's more expensive but they rely less on imported oil.
so its not possable to compair oil to oil prices.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I read that 55% of the cost of fuel in the UK is government taxes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read that 55% of the cost of fuel in the UK is government taxes.
I don't know if it's 55% but it is very high, you could be right.

My only point in publishing this price info was to say there are folks around the world that are still paying up to twice the price we are for diesel. It doesn't matter whether the cost is made up of taxes or something else, they are still paying $9 per gallon out of their pockets.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
but they sure aren't driving as far as we have to to get where we gotta go.

Still sucks that they have to pay that much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts