Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey did you guys see the July '08 Diesel world? In an article called Project MPG they took a Ford diesel that was getting 24 mpg and they added larger tires (about $1K?) and a gear vendors overdrive (about 4k installed?) to get a truck that gets 19.3mpg. Just shows you that you can waste $5k and lose fuel mileage. Ouch:CRY:

·
Registered
18 Posts
How was that Ford getting 24 mpg ?? I call BS. :w:

·
Registered
97 Posts
yea thats not a good idea with the way fuel is.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yea that was a big let down... I was expecting to see 26 or 27 thats sad. There was so many other things they could have done. Doesnt everyone know the torque peak is around 1800??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bigger tires?

I thought that adding heavier tires was a mistake as I read the article. adding heavier rotational weight seemed like it was counter productive to their goals.

Then they didn't spend enough time testing the gear vendoes o/d unit to really find it's sweet spot. So I am still in the dark as to the gear vendors is a product that gives the big mileage increases for the average truck owner. That O/D is expensive so if it doesn't get a serious increase in fuel mileage it's a serious waste of money :$:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well the tires helped a little bit, because it was in effect giving it a lower gear ratio with the bigger tires. Of course there is a breaking point like you were talking about where the rotational weight would be counter productive. However they were still in the positive until they put on the gear vendors. They concluded that (i think itwas [email protected]) was too low rpm for the engine to be producing enough torque, and thats what pulled their mileage down. They tried at 80mph but there was too much wind drag. Just my opinion, they should have went with a slightly smaller tire but still used the overdrive unit to achieve 1700-1800rpms right around 65-70 mph, where the wind resistance would be less. Im not sure that this would be any better than running the stock configuration though.... they just got the gear ratio way too low.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm still laughing at a Ford powerstroke getting 24 mpg. If this is the case then they got a one in a million test truck.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm still laughing at a Ford powerstroke getting 24 mpg. If this is the case then they got a one in a million test truck.
Yeah no joke!

What year was it? Cause if it was an 08.........haha no way! my buddy gets about 9-10mpg on 38's I believe. So yeah no way 24mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts

My point exactly ! :lol3:

·
texas
909 Posts
was reading two other mags they say the new Ford get poor mpg they get close to 14-17

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,023 Posts
:agree2::rof:rof:rof

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There's NO way any Ford diesel is getting 24 mpg and I think 19 is even stretching it. My 06 got 11 around town and 17 on the highway, downhill, empty, with a tailwind, with the engine cut off.

BS Alert.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts