Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start the engine, I get the standard diesel "lag-a-lag-a-lag-a". That sounds healthy. Now, when it's cold, it sounds like what I called spark knock in my '85 Plymouth Horizon. After it warms up, it still rattles (Kinda sounds like marbles in a tin can), but not as loud. Is this normal? Should these engines sound like that? It only seems to happen when I'm accelerating. The engine only has 600 miles on it. I don't remember the one I test drove at the dealer before I got mine being this loud, but I guess it could have been.

Having not owned a diesel before, I just want to make sure that this is normal engine noise before I do some damage.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
yep. its gonna rattle although not as loud as a 5.9, dirtymax or powerjoke.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Diesels sound different when they are cold. What you describe sounds normal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys...

I knew that they rattled.. :) I just wasn't sure if the rattle was supposed to be "on top of" the "lag-a-lag-a-lag", or part of it... (If that makes any sense). The "lag-a-lag" is consistent always, the rattle happens when I give it some fuel, and is a separate sound along with the "lag-a-lag".

It sounds like you'all know what I'm talking about, now I can just smile and listen to her rattle and not worry about it. :)

Thanks again!

·
Regen? What's That??
1,058 Posts
Yep.. Mine does that to as well. It depends on outside temp as to duration, loudness, etc.. after its warmed up, its still there, but not nearly as noticable.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
sounds normal to me, congrats on your first diesel and welcome to cumminsforum!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds normal to me, congrats on your first diesel and welcome to cumminsforum!
Thanks.. I hope I don't regret it now with all this EPA mandated crap on it.

As for the forum, it looks like I've got a lot of reading to do :)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Thanks.. I hope I don't regret it now with all this EPA mandated crap on it.

As for the forum, it looks like I've got a lot of reading to do :)

You shouldn't regret it, the emissions equipment on these trucks weren't built very well and the tend to "fall off" :confused013: Once they "fall off" the trucks seem to run better so generally the owner doesn't "fix it" :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You shouldn't regret it, the emissions equipment on these trucks weren't built very well and the tend to "fall off" :confused013: Once they "fall off" the trucks seem to run better so generally the owner doesn't "fix it" :D
Yeah... I've got about 5 more years of warranty before I think about that.. :) I'm also not sure what Ohio is going to do about testing in the future either. For now, it runs good, I'll keep it stock until I need to make a change.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If the rattle really bothers you add some cetane booster, like Power service (without injector cleaner), or find a supplier that uses more #1 in the blend. Farm supply places tend to do this, but no guarantees. As summer rolls around, the "blends" can be almost straight #2, and if you get a bad batch, may not even meet specs for #2. The 6.7 pre-injection sequences help reduce the low cetane knock, because for some reason the ULSD is worse than LSD, but it has limits. My '97 would knock way worse than the '08 on a bad tank of ULSD, but it would smooth right out on a good tank of LSD or with some booster added. The label on the Power service says it complies with the low ash requirements, but I have not used any on the '08 because I have not had any codes or DPF issues so far. don't poke the bear.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
You better get rid of now, it wont last until the end of the warrenty. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You better get rid of now, it wont last until the end of the warrenty. :thumbsup:
I HOPE you're referring to the DPF, and not the truck! :shock:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I HOPE you're referring to the DPF, and not the truck! :shock:
The DPF is more of a wallet drainer then a truck killer.

The EGR is the truck killer, after 5 years and warranty is up, there will be so much build-up inside the engine it wont be worth saving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts