Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a 2008 Megacab with the 6.7 in it. Love the truck but wondering what I can do for some mods. I added the Banks cold air box and that is about it.

I was told by Banks that they have not been able to figure out the 08 engine for thier tuner. What can I add to this truck? Firstly i am looking for gas mileage being I tow a boat and use it for long hauls with the camper. Power would be great but don't need to tear up the tranny. (HP might be a little fun on occasion :) )

What tuners should I use? Change on the fly? any other mods?

Also I am getting "perform Maintenance". Did the box cause that? I have had the box in for some time before maintenance showed. I figure it is a standard warning.

Any help would be great...

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Plenty to read and study on performance mods. A lot depends on whether you are willing to give up any warranty you might have left on your power train.

Do a search on deletes, sit back and read for a while.

DPF delete, EGR delete and a Smarty Jr would be a good starting point.

Then you will love you truck even more and it will love you for not cramming all that exhaust back into it and chocking it to death. :rof

·
Registered
3,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
perform maintenance could be that your crankcase filter needs changed, in your manual it will show you at what mileage that needs changed. or your oil may need changed, if it was just changed recently sometimes the perform maintenance light will come on again and needs reset. the dealership can tell you how to do it, you have to turn the key on and tap the brake pedal 5 times or something like that. could be a couple different things...process of elimination

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whats the reason for choosing H&S over smarty or anythin else? Most of it is simply going to be because thats what you have but I would like to hear, if you have any reason, why you choose to suggest H&S.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have had h&s and smarty jr and a smarty sr. I like the smarty sr over everything. I have the best fuel mileage with the sr. I had the most smoke with the minimax. But both work great depending on what u want. I hate smoke. So I only ran the mini for like 5000 miles and took it off. You won't be unhappy either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Whats the reason for choosing H&S over smarty or anythin else? Most of it is simply going to be because thats what you have but I would like to hear, if you have any reason, why you choose to suggest H&S.
I have ran both and have significant seat time with both. The tuning, shifting, monitor, safety features, and customer service make H&S the clear choice to me. There are some who are die hard Smarty fans and like them better. Smarty makes an excellent product, nothing wrong with going that route. Its all personal preference, but for the reasons I stated above, H&S is what I run and recommend most.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm considering the H&S Mini-Max due to the fact it has built-in gauges...just something to consider if you are not wanting to install aftermarket gauges and gauge pod.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Everyone is going to tell you advantages between the two. I have ran H&S and smarty both for quite a long time. I love the smarty I get the best mileage and run smoke free compared to H&S. When running h&s I would hit the throttle and black out an intersection. Which I hated another thing to remember about getting electronic gauges that are through the OBD port if you put any foolers on a sensor I.E. boost foolers it will read wrong on the digital (electronic) gauges

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here what I would do.... Tuning: H&S/BlackMaxx/Mini Maxx/ or XRT PRO, Exhaust/DPF Delete: AFe, or FLO-PRO.... then H&S EGR Delete, and Cooler Delete, and as for Intakes.... Id go with a pro dry AFe, and maybe a Air Dog 150, And if thats not enough power for you, Go with Nozzles and a 2nd gen swap with a big single, I think there better than Compounds... this should help a little!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have to pin the throttle to the floor to get my truck to smoke from a standstill. Other than that it doesnt really smoke to speak of even on the hot tune. If you are looking for mpgs you probably arent gonna blow smoke, is how I sum it up. So since it is not a normal driving practice to hammer it "every" time I get on it I am happy with the benefit of the guages, shift-on-the-fly, updates on my home computer, and customer service you see all over this forum.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have to pin the throttle to the floor to get my truck to smoke from a standstill. Other than that it doesnt really smoke to speak of even on the hot tune. If you are looking for mpgs you probably arent gonna blow smoke, is how I sum it up. So since it is not a normal driving practice to hammer it "every" time I get on it I am happy with the benefit of the guages, shift-on-the-fly, updates on my home computer, and customer service you see all over this forum.
My H&S is to smokey??? How does yours not smoke.... And before the new update it smoked way more....:confused013:, and I have gotten up to 24 mpg with my H&S

1 - 17 of 17 Posts