Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am geting diesel in the oil i hav had the injectors checked so what else could it be? its puting about an inch every 100 miles.i have twin cp3 pumps could it be the bottom one?:confused013:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Could be the seal on the bottom pump. Just sent my cp3 to Todd at TC cause I thought it was my pump making oil and not the injectors. Todd confirmed it was the pump making oil.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: melonman

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
How does your pump make oil? It would still have to go through the injectors wouldn't it? Im confused please explain!:confused013:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
How does your pump make oil? It would still have to go through the injectors wouldn't it? Im confused please explain!:confused013:
It is a highly complicated and technical process of reverse osmosis. :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe: LOL

If the cp3 has a bad seal then the Diesel goes past the seal and into the timing gear gallery, then into the oil pan raising the oil level. This is then refered to as "Making Oil".

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
The FASS sounds like a separate issue. When you turn the key off the pump should stop, unless it's incorrectly wired.

The top CP3 cannot leak into the engine. The bottom one can via the timing cover if it has a bad seal. Do you have a RP gauge? Is the RP sensor in the top pump or on the rail?

If there's not a miss, white smoke, pinging, knocking, ect, it is probably the seal for the bottom CP3. While it's not common, it is a "more than likely factor" if the injectors are good. Easy way to check is to feel the bottom of the CP3 for diesel. Sometimes it doesn't leak out of the cover so it might be best to pull the CP3 (not that hard).

·
Registered
340 Posts
my 2007 did that when i blew the tip off #6 injector

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It is a highly complicated and technical process of reverse osmosis. :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe: LOL

If the cp3 has a bad seal then the Diesel goes past the seal and into the timing gear gallery, then into the oil pan raising the oil level. This is then refered to as "Making Oil".
Aha! That makes sense for sure I wasn't thinking about the timing cover Thanks for explaining that to my dumb a$$! Lol

·
Banned
449 Posts
Before I would pull the CP3 I would remove the oil fill cap and start the motor and look for fuel misting inside the valve cover.If you see the fuel mist vapor inside you either have a cracked injector body or a injector o-ring which had been compromised when you did the install.As stated also the bottom CP3 will also do what your seeing.My 05 recently did exactly what your saying,pressure drop in the FASS,was making oil a little at a time at first then worse later,never missed a beat nor did it ever stumble.Thought it was the CP3 also but upon removing the oil cap and finding the vapor inside we pulled the injectors and found number 3 had cracked the body.Replaced the injector and no more issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i had my injectors checked ther good .shouldnt my fass stop pumping after a little while when the key is left on?i thought it should build enough presser and kick off?

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
i had my injectors checked ther good .shouldnt my fass stop pumping after a little while when the key is left on?i thought it should build enough presser and kick off?
Yes if the key is on the pump will kick on for 12-15 seconds or so then turn off, and repeat after 3 minutes. When the starter is bumped it will kick on as well. As soon as the key is turned off it should shut off.

For dual's modded pumps should only be needed for 250+ injectors. My dual stock pumps hold my 65lpm injectors fine (200-250hp).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.