Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My injection pump bumped a bunch of diesel into the oil. I was losing oil pressure driving home and I just thought it wad the gauge being stupid...drive probably about 12 miles our so with no oil pressure. Got home and checked the oil and it was full of fuel. So I got the new pump and all and was just wondering if I should be worried about the engine.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I wouldn't see why you would of lost pressure.

But, for a short distance it should be fine. Diesel fuel has pretty good lubrication in itself. How much diesel are we talking about?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dint know yet but it was way over full on the dip stick...way over full. And I know a gas engine would bed ruined...but I want real sure about diesel

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I would'nt run the new oil very long then change it again to flush out the fuel. If the oil pressure goes back to normal and the engine sounds good, i'd say its probably ok. Probably good you did'nt drive it much further.

Would'nt hurt to put some lucas in the oil the next couple changes.

Are you sure the lift pump was the problem? Thought I'd add that the injection pump can do the same thing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is my injection pump man...i'm pretty positive outs the pump cuz there was diesel running down the side of the block and the timing gear...I've got the new pump I was just worried about my bearings and stuff

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Might be a good idea to get a oil test done if it at all seems like there is a problem after you change the oil filter. They can tell what wear metals and how much is in the oil.

Reactions: Flogger

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I wouldn't see why you would of lost pressure.
Because the diesel thinned the lube oil. It greatly reduced the lube oil's viscosity thus it's ability to stay in the bearing and support it's load.

With the thinned lube oil, the film of oil that supports/separates the bearing assembly, .. . .. can't. The result is wiping of the babbit material from the bearings.

As has been mentioned, short of taking the engine apart and inspecting the bearings, renew the lube oil and hope the gauge presents with a reasonable pressure with no knocking upon restart.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
24,364 Posts
Are running the stock LP?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya i'm running the stock lift pump.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I was just out inn the shop pulling my injection pump off...went to put it at tdc...now this is my first time doing this so go ready on me...the I can't feel the timing pin on the back of the timing cover...it feels like i'm touching the gear and there id no pin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy crap...greasy fingers and touch screen = horrible spelling...sorry guys

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I hear of guys running recycled engine oil as fuel..

maybe if you did that, you wouldn't have to worry about it.. keep runnin.

I am kidding.. just trying to make light of your situation.. hope you don't take offense

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man...any ideas on this timing pin...a
How deep does the pin go into that hole...should it be real deep in there

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It goes in a ways. Did you find the pin? The knob that sticks out should stick out some once its locked into the hole in the gear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No...I can stick my finger way in there and feel a little hole or notch in the back...what does that mean

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can it fall out or anything like that

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Yea I'd say it just fell out. All it is is a plastic piece that is held in with a rubber o-ring. As long as you get the hole in the gear centered perfectly with the timing pin hole you'll probably be ok. You might have to get a small mirror to see in there. Or if you know someone else with a 1st gen you could see if they'll let you borrow theirs.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Can you use a small screwdriver or awl? I have not had to do this yet, so I do not know the clearance for such things.

·
Super Moderator
24,364 Posts
A small phillips or awl will work I've done that before, sometimes it was easier that way then with the original pin.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts