Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else having a diesel fume odor in the cab of your truck when using the A/C or the Heater? If so, are you having a turbo issue (P2262CEL)? I happened to be driving by the dealership today when the fumes started, took the diesel tech around the block for a ride, so he could smell what I smell. After the ride he agreed, that there are diesel fumes coming in the cab. My new turbo will be here in the next few days for them to replace. If this does not fix the problem, I will be hiring a lawyer to lemon this truck. It is problem after problem with this and Dodge is doing nothing to address these problems but put a band aide on each issue that comes up.

Reactions: Jonbob

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
with that code the truck is not getting enough boost i.e. running rich. It would make sense that a rich condition would make some excess fumes and is most likely the cause of the smell.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
i am having that code pop up. i had them star scan it when the CEL wasnt lit, and it didnt show anything..... then we drove around a lil' bit and it came on. they scanned it and it showed the code..... its weird how it wont show if light doesnt come on.....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine did not have any unusual odors when I had the 2262 code. I think it's just a coincidence and you or the tech should check for fuel leaks, tank vent problems, etc before assuming it has something to do with the turbo.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I thought I was the only one having that problem. I noticed it right away when i put on my new exhaust but mine is a 5.9 not the 6.7

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dale_K: This is not a raw diesel fuel odor from the tank or fuel line.This is a burnt diesel exhaust odor, like the exhaust smell of an older diesel. I have had this intermittent problem from about the 2nd.-3rd. weeks of owning this truck, and long before I started getting that p2262 code. I do remember seeing a thread posted on this web site some time ago about this problem. Cant seem to find though. Today as the tech rode with me in the truck, he stated he is going to start with the turbo as the source and contact Chrysler for help, because he has never seen this before. The dealer ship I deal with sells a lot of trucks gas and diesel being that the county I live in is 95% rural with lots of good size farms.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I misunderstood you about the smell. I guess a bad catalyst or something like that would make the truck smell like an old-fashioned diesel. Hope it turns out OK for you.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
I too recall a thread quite a while ago about the Fuel Smell Condition. Dont recall what it was though. I would check for exhaust leaks. Maybe up in the engine bay with the EGR stuff. If i recall thats what it ended up being.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I bought my 7.5, I had a leak at the EGR tube that smelled up the cab. The Dealer ended up replacing the tube. There was soot at the leak, on the passenger side. It really stunk.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
i've noticed it on mine from time to time but, haven't done anything. i run the EB all the time and I only notice it at stop lights or when i have the A/C bringing the air from outside in. When it circulates the air just inside I don't smell it. I grew up around the farm and grew to love the smell of the old diesel, so when I smell it in my tree hugger truck it just brings a smile to my face.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also having this problem on my 07 2500 4x4. My dealership kept the truck for a week, and ended up reprogramming the diverter door in the dash vent system. That helped, but the problem has come back. Has anyone come up with what is actually causing the problem?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chuck Hyskell: My truck is still in he shop. The dealer is cleaning the EGR system, and new turbo is being put on. The tech did find the leak that was causing the fumes in the cab. When I was in the shop Wed. evening to pick up the loaner, the tech showed me the housing that was near a cooler on the exhaust side of the ERG. The leak was in some hosing, I do not remember the name of the part. When I call the dealer later to day to see whats up with the truck, I will find out and post. I do know that the part was not in their main warehouse, they said it was going to come out of a warehouse in Warren, Ohio. Hopefully I will get the truck back today. The loaner Dodge Neon they gave me just isnt working. Also after talking to the tech he said this is basically another band aide. He said that the protocol from Dodge/Cummins states if the p2262 code comes on again within 1500 miles of a turbo replacement it gets another new turbo, if it comes on again within 2500 miles the EGR has to be taken apart and cleaned, along with the turbo being cleaned. It is also the techs opinion that this EGR cleaning procedure will become a general item to be preformed like oil changes at certain intervals.

·
Registered
355 Posts
yeah mine does it sometimes, dosnt bother me since i miss the smell of my 5.9.... withouth all the emissions hahaha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
at who's cost?

here's a better solution...delete it! don't have to clean what's not there :thumbsup

Thats the same question I asked!!! If I can not get this truck bought back under the Lemon Law, which I filed for with the Ohio Attorney General yesterday. I think that the DPF might just happen to fall off , and and the EGR may become blocked off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the same problem I have took it to the dealer four times they said they smelled it the first time but not anymore it does pretty much everyday they told me to put it on recirculation I said no then they said the best they would do is buy me a filtering kit let me know if u find a lawyer I'm looking for one it should be a recall

1 - 16 of 16 Posts